Ithaca model 300 wont reload?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by lostinfo?, Jun 13, 2012.

1. lostinfo?

lostinfo? New Member

I have an Ithaca model 300 that I can not unload any shells from the mag tube when I pull back the charging handle. The shells stay in the tube unless I push on the small lever on the INSIDE of the housing. I dont shoot this very often, was handed down when grandfather passed away. I know that he was very proud of this firearm and kept it in great shape. I hope I did not dork it up when I cleaned it! Thanks for any help.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Swing it by a gunsmith. it sounds like the shell stops are not being tripped by the action. proly a simple fix.
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome lostinfo to TFF.
    I see this often.It is usually the right shell latch.
    It is bent or worn out or just could need to be stripped and cleaned.
    when dirt gets into the shell latch grove/spring it keeps the latch from closing all the way not letting the shell by.
    If you do not know how to completely strip it then do as JLA says and take it to a smith they can be a bummer to get together when stripped.
    Mike
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

5. Michael Dorey

Michael Dorey New Member

There is nothing wrong with your Ithaca Model 300. It will not feed the rounds out of the tubular magazine by simply pulling the action to the rear because that is the way it was designed. It will feed when a round is fired. You have to unloaded it by pushing the little clip holding the rounds into the magazine, through the bottom of the action, with the action closed, while holding down the action release button.

I would be interested in purchasing your Ithaca Model 300. I have had one since I was a kid passed down to me from my father. It has been used so much it is almost worn out. As they are not made any more they are getting hard to find. How much do you want for it?
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

This post is over a year old and the owner of the gun has not been back.
    Mike