Ithaca Model 500 Need advise

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by ieezitin, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ieezitin

ieezitin New Member

I came across this nice Ithaca model 500 12 gage shot gun which i had to buy, first question what is the coating on the outside of the barrels? it does not look like blueing to me, what age is this gun? are there any features on it to tell its age, On the barrel its stamped Ithaca N.Y. Made in Japan-Roto Forged what is this ? I thought only this brand was made in the USA? and last of all i paid $500.00 for it did i get a good deal?, Its in great shape stock is perfect, bores are flawless, the receiver looks like it was made yesterday.
  2. Ieezitin, I moved your post here to Rifle/Shotgun where you are more likely to get answers to your question.

By the way, welcome to TFF!
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

Have had a M500, 2 M600's, 2 M700's and 3 M200's. And a single bbl trap. Still have a nice 200E SxS skt/skt. These were made by SKB in Japan and imported by Ithaca. Some have Ithaca on them, some have Ithaca-SKB. Bought my first in mid-70s. Great guns. Only thing I ever had a problem with was a broken ejector (probably a bad casting) but found a new set for next to nothing (~$30). Just gave the one I did not use to a trap shooting buddy for his spouse's skeet gun. It is worn after probably 35,000 rounds.

But, an old-time, and old, gunsmith named Dan Dwyer (Yep, of Dwyer Group Gripper fame) said he could make the old one better than new for $80 (in 1981). Dan drilled and silver soldered two tapered pins in that thing ... it was about 1/16" thick. Told him it was worth $80 just to see it done! I still have it - and value it - and you have to look closely to see the pins!

Blue book sez M500 started in 1966. BBls are black chrome. On the 500 I think the frame is, too. On the 600s/700s frame is silver, 800 has side plates.

SKB has made SKB's, Weatherby's and more.

As I asy in my signature ... never sell a gun ... dammit!
  4. ieezitin

ieezitin New Member

thank you for moving my question, and thanks for the welcome.
  5. ieezitin

ieezitin New Member

thanks for the info i am encouraged by your reply