Ithaca (Western Arms) 12 Side by Side

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by lbarrychevy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. lbarrychevy

lbarrychevy New Member

Hi all. I have my grandfathers Ithaca 12 gauge double barrel. All it realy says on it is Western Arms and has the number 21272 stamped on every part. Do's any one know what year it was built, or know anything about this gun?
  2. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Chevy
    The best I tell you is that your gun is what I call a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a gun made by a major maker usually on contract to a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. In this case you know the gun was made by Ithaca and it was made for and sold by Montgomery Wards. Ithaca started making the Western Arms name in 1928. Guessing from the serial number you give and the serial number-year made table I have, the gun was made in 1930.
  3. lbarrychevy

lbarrychevy New Member

Thanks Anchor. At least I know how old it is and that it was made by Ithaca for sure. It relay is a nice gun. Been used a time or two, but still a great gun. Was out yesterday skeet and trap shooting with my 870, and sent a few rounds through the old double. Wow.. what a nice gun. Shoulder a lot nicer than the 870 does thats for sure. Well thants for the help.