Ithica 12 ga double, what is it? and its value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ejs024, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ejs024

ejs024 New Member

I am searching for information on a old side by side, 12 ga. Ithica gun Co. shotgun. The serial number is 392878 and the only Id marks are a engraved bird dog running in a field. The barrels are marked 12 ga F, and M.
  2. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

The only information I can supply is that your Ithaca DBL, serial no falls into the 1924 year range and it might be the "Flues" Model. <~~ (Not An Expert Here) More information would be needed about the Ithaca for someone more knowledgeable than I to take a guess.
  3. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

ejs024,

As Rebel pointed out, you do have a Flues model Ithaca made around 1924. Pretty much at the end of production of the Flues model. It was replaced around 1926 by the New Ithaca Double, also known as the NID Ithaca.

I'm really surprised the chokes are marked on your gun. Ithaca's usually have a code marked on the barrel flats that designate the chokes when they left the factory. The choke code markings: "0" for Cylinder, "1" for Improved Cylinder, "2" for Modified, "3" for Improved Modified and "4" for Full choke.

Hope this helps.

And its "Ithaca" a very nice small city at the south end of Cayuga Lake (one of New Yorks Finger Lakes) about 50 miles south of where I'm typing this.

Jolly
  4. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Oh Yeah, forgot to ask.

There should be a number marked just above the serial number on the receiver that you can see when you break the gun down into 3 pieces. That would be the grade of the gun, ie, F, 1, 1 1/2, 2, 3 etc. If there is just a simple engraved dog on the eceiver, it's probably a Field "F" grade. Value would depend on the overall condition of the gun. If it's all original in very good to excellent condition, probably around $300 - 350.

Jolly
  5. ejs024

ejs024 New Member

Jolly Bill,
    Yes the numbers 2 and 4 do appear. My father had etched the F and M.
    Thank you for your help

Jerry
  6. ejs024

ejs024 New Member

Rebel,
    Thanks for the Info. As you can probably see, Jolly Bill has ID'ed the gun.