Ithica 49 receiver...paint??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mranum, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mranum

mranum Member

I have an Ithica 49 SS .22 mag. The black on the receiver is peeling and chipping just about every time I take it out anymore. What should I put on it that would hold up and look decent. Its not steel so blueing is out. Not sure if its aluminum or what. I had one a number of years ago(working on getting it back) that I refinished. That material looked different than this though, that was more of a gold/tan color where this is very light silver in color. On that one I cold blued the receiver along with the barrel and came out looking sorta like a case hardened look. Looked kinda neat so I left it.

This gun looks great except for the receiver.
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Pm goofy, he's in the upstate ny area and a wealth of knowledge on ithacas
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The receiver on that model is a non-ferrous alloy and was original painted from the factory. We use a gloss black coating such as Norrell's MolyCoat to refinish these receivers.
  4. mranum

mranum Member

Ok , thanks again guys!

Matt
  5. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Thanks StoneChimney,I have one too, with same problem. BTW mine is a .22 and a great shooter!:)Cliff
  6. mranum

mranum Member

I sold my LR version to a buddy of mine when he wanted to teach his kids how to shoot. Worked great and he don't want to get rid of it yet but I have a small revolver he wants. :D I later picked up the 22 mag version, be a nice pair I thought to sit next to my 39-A and my 9422.
  7. mranum

mranum Member

Rather than start a new thread on this gun I'll bump this one. I've noticed in some pics online of the #49 that the front sight is in a barrel band. My magnum, and my soon to reclaimed LR version are both dovetailed. I assume its a transition over time, but which were made first, the band or the dovetail?
  8. azimuth

azimuth New Member

I own one of the .22 versions that is an early model and it has the band/sight combo. It was explained to me by a collector of these Ithaca's that the older models had features such as the front sight band, squared rear sight notch, walnut stock (later ones used ash), and no serial number. Production started in late 1961 and the serial number was added around '68 due to 1968 Gun Control Act. Of course, take that all with a grain of salt. All I know for sure is that it is a really cool little rifle and is surprisingly accurate. I would love to find a nice, clean example in .22 WMR. I have a fondness (some say sickness) for rimfire leverguns.

[​IMG]
  9. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

To mranum........if my memory serves me correctly, the receiver of your Ithica M49 is made out of Zamac, a zinc alloy. Brownells have several spray finishes that will take care of your problem as well as being more durable than the factory finish.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those that didn't
  10. mranum

mranum Member

The mag version of this gun that I have is in very nice shape except for the chipping/peeling on the receiver. Not real bad but bad enough it makes me want to redo it. Only drawback I have with it is that it struggles ejecting the shell more than halfway.

I just picked up a copy of the Gun Digest assembly/disassembly for rimfires and was studying this rifle. My lr version is going to get a full redo soon. I'm undecided what to put on the receiver yet but was looking at different options last night at Brownells.
  11. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

Check out the Henry thread at Rimfirecentral for some ideas on refinishing the receiver cover. Similar (if not the same) gun and materials.
  12. mranum

mranum Member

Looking at those Henry's with the polished receivers is giving me some ideas. :cool:
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm pretty sure I was the one that started the idea. I had many pics of the process, but deleted my photobucket acct. There went the pics.:rolleyes: Then a virus destroyed my hard drive and all the backup. :mad:

I'll try and break out the camera this weekend. If I say so myself, mine turned out better than the others. :p

PM me for ideas if ya like. :)
  14. mranum

mranum Member

PM sent.

Would love to get a look at it.:cool:
  15. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Just completed the refinish on this today using DuraCoat on the steal.

Attached Files:

16. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

As you might notice the synthetic stock had about 2" chopped off by someone with short arms, then they butchered up the recoil pad incase it didn't look bad enough already.
    I couldn't find a decent price on a sock so I made an extension, painted it with textured aerosol from Home Depot then added a slip-on recoil pad to complete the job. Did this one for a friend. I put about $40 in to it.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  17. mranum

mranum Member

Quite a change, nice job!
  18. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

If you have someone nearby that does powder coating, you may want to check that process out. I have a Henry lever that I bought used and abused. I refinished the stock, then stripped the paint off the reciever and had it powder coated and it is very durable.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  19. mranum

mranum Member

That powder coat looks better than I thought it might.