Ithica dbl. Flues?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jack.54@hotmail.com, Sep 7, 2006.

1. jack.54@hotmail.com

jack.54@hotmail.com New Member

I've acquired a ithica dbl. which belonged to my great-grandfather. Based on the serial #338543 I believe it is a 1919 flues model. Can you tell from this number What the gauge,chokes, and shell size are? The markings which I see are; Smokeless powder Steel, setters engraved on both sides. I do not see any ref. to gauge etc. Barrels are 28" long. To take down do I remove the screw from forestock and remove? Thanks in advance for information.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well Jack......I'm no expert on high end Ithacas, but according to the Shotgunworld.com website, #338543 is, indeed, a 1919 Flues Model.

No way to tell from the serial # what the gauge, choke or shell size are, but if you take it to a local gunsmith, he can probably tell you from a quick examination.....and for just a few $$$$, he can check it out and see if it's safe to shoot.

These early Ithaca doubles can be pretty valuable guns, and are certainly worth a few $$$$$ to have them checked out by a gunsmith. Some were made for blackpowder, and some are safe with modern smokeless powder loads. A decent gunsmith can tell you which, and what, you have.
  3. jack.54@hotmail.com

jack.54@hotmail.com New Member

Thanks for the confirmation. That's exactly what I'll do. Jack
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

If you remove the wooden forearm I expect you will see markings underneath which will tell you the guage and chokes.
  5. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Jack
    According to the reference book entitled Ithaca Gun Company from the begining, By Walter Snyder. your serial number proves to be a 1920. The flues model was produced from 1908-1926, so yours was on the tail end of that models production. If you could share some of the features of this gun, I could tell you more about it. They had many features as they were considered a high end double barrel gun. Emil Flues is who the gun was named after and he worked for Ithaca gun, in there experimental process shop, and designed the Lightning Fast action found 0n this model. I hope this helps, and if you tell me more I can provide more information on your shot gun as well. Regards, Hammerdown