It's A Mosin Shoot Off

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by gandog56, Jun 8, 2009.

1. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I always knew my most accurate two Mosin Nagants were a 91/30 SA stamped barrel Finn capture, and my 91/59, but I never seemed to have both at the range at the same time. (I rotate through 8 different Mosin Nagants I own) Finally had them both at the range at the same time. The winner was the 91/30, though I kind of expected that with a longer barrel. But I am still impressed that my 91/59 gave it a run for the money.

Now if my M38 only shot near as good!
  2. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Which one puts the biggest smile on your face?
  3. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Asking me to choose between my 8 Mosin Nagant "babies" ?
  4. Charlie the sniper

" 8" :eek:, I will never talk to you again :D:D:D:D:D:D, there's me thinking about applying to the police for a second Mosin Nagant:(:(
  5. Sheesh, and I only own six. ;)
  6. Charlie the sniper

Going off to cry in the corner now, thanks guys:(
  7. ncbelly

ncbelly New Member

I finally got my first one! I haven't shot it yet, but I can't wait! It's a 91/30. I'm still learning about 'em so I don't know too much yet. I would like to get a few more though...that I'm sure of. When I was first looking at them there were a few that were in pretty bad shape(scratched up quite a bit). They looked like they have just been thrown around. The one I got looks great. I'm thinking of getting one that don't look too great and put a new stock on it. I would like to use it for hunting.
  8. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Slacker! And I just bought numbers 9 & 10!;)
  9. ncbelly

ncbelly New Member

I feel like I'm wayyyy behind! Only have one......so far! The wife already knows that I'll be getting more. I would also like to get an M1.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Number 9

[​IMG]

Number 10

[​IMG]
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I tell you what brother, I have bought and sold and cut up and traded off more nagants than are mentioned in this post. and the ONE that stands out in my mind as far as accuracy and reliablilty are concerned would have ranked among the ugliest ones you would find on the shelf at the gun store. It was a RA contract 1917 M91/30. It was a tackdriver and the one I wish I would have kept. When I bought it i was browsing the mosin nagant corner at military gun supply in ft. worth. There were several M44 variants and several M91/30 variants. All were arsenal rebuilds from tula with the exception of one, that had a different rear sight, a hex shaped reciever and a beat-up old stock. There were no import markings on it and the bore and action were smooth as a babys butt. I kept picking it up and putting it back down and picking it back up, until my wife said "you are going to add another 5 years wear to that rifle if you keep picking it up and looking at it every 5 minutes, you might as well buy it" So, without further hesitation, I grabbed it and a case of bulgarian mil-surp and tacked another 210 bucks to my visa card. I really wish I would have kept that rifle... (tear):(
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  12. momo

momo Former Guest

Gandog, number 9 looks like an M39, is it?
  13. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Sure is, and it is ACCURATE!
  14. BigCheeseStick

BigCheeseStick New Member

NICE! It's a WISE, WISE man that collect Nagants! I have but two (91/30, & an M44). GREAT GUNS! You DO have the DVD "Enemy at the Gates"? RIGHT?!?
  15. gandog56

gandog56 Member

**SIGH**
    I have a New England Westinghouse, but I so do want a Remmy!:(
  16. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

I own a mosin nagant style rifle, It was a Finnish capture, so I think they called them a model 27, It has a hex reciever, sa stamp, b stamed bore and possibly an Austrian made reciever.I say possibly Austrian made because no one really knows what that marking means,It kind of looks like someone's family coat of arms or something along those lines.It has a P/U scope that my granddad brought back from Korea in the '50s. When I was shimming the trigger's spring retainer screw to take some of the creep out of it I think i remember seeing something in the guts of this rifle that said 1905. It isn't as nice a rifle as a cn marked sniper, and its uglier than homemade soap, but I smile everytime I hear it bark and spit lead. To make the scope work closer to the way it was intended, I had to shim the scope mount to obtain a proper sight picture. Originally these rifles had the scopes made to them in a manner that they weren't interchangeable with other sniper rifles, but I'm a free thinking American and with the proper guidance and tools, I can make anything work. I really don't think that I need another mosin, but I wouldn't mind having a model 39 in the slightest.

I know of a few people who clowned on these Mosin's, then they fired them, and their snide-smiles turned to those of awe. It really is something to shoot an ancient rifle and hold a good group. Then later during weapons maintenance time I always wonder, especially of the scope on mine, how many forced marches and enemies have been in the sights of it, were in the world it has been, and most importantly, with whom.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  17. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Just zeroed my above mentioned rifle and had the trigger pull weight checked. It shoots center and 3 inches high at 100 yds, just the way the mosin nagant hand book says it should with the scope set to an elevation of 3 and windage of 0. The pull weight measured at 2 1/2 lbs! I personally am really happy about this even though with safety in mind it shouldn't be lower than 3 lbs. But it's a long 2 1/2 so I'm satisfied.
  18. momo

momo Former Guest

Ski9393 do you have a picture of this Mosin sniper of yours? You say you think it is a model 27, but then you say it has a B stamped bore (maybe barrel). I think, if I remember correctly, only the M91 and M39 had the B barrel. The SA stamp means property of the Finnish army. That family crest is probably the Romanov double headed eagle, if so,then its a Russian receiver.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  19. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

I don't own a digital camera, however as soon as I can borrow one I will take some pictures and post them. If you go to this link http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/mosin_nagant_markings.asp and scroll down until you see the one that says OEWG Austrian (?) mark on reciever, this is what the "family crest" I described looks like. I wouldn't imagine that it really is a family crest it just seemed like the best way to describe the mark. It is also marked with a D on the barrel that supposedly means that the particular barrel was originally chambered for 7.63x53 rather than 54. according to the web site that i gave a link to, that B marking has to do with the measurement of the bore, B was in the middle between A and C (I think I remember this correctly) with A being the tightest and C being the loosest by a some ten thousanths of an inch.
    Just to set the record straight it wasn't originally a sniper rifle, I just happened to buy a rifle I liked and didn't know much about, then realized that my Granddad's old scope was made for rifles like it. I wish it was originally a sniper, that would be way cooler. I bought it when I was still serving on active duty and had cash to piss away. I only think it is a model 27, I thought that was what the Finns called there captured M91's. Also, it has the arshens marked out on the left side of the sight ramp and another serno marked through on the magazine floorplate. sorry for such a legnthy reply, the guys at work don't know anything about firearms so I kind of save it all up until I get home to visit TFF.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  20. Laufer

Laufer New Member

JLA:
    If you can easily get to Caddo Mills, about one hour northeast of Dallas on I-30, you might like the MN selection at the "Ammo Depot".
    About a month ago they had about twenty, including a Finn and a 91/59.
    Some of these, and even the two 91/30s I checked had bright bores.

They are also open Sunday afternoons. We visited on a Sunday about a month ago.
    Can you hear the screeching tires and see gas needles dropping to the big E?