It's A Mosin Shoot Off

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by gandog56, Jun 8, 2009.

1. momo

momo Former Guest

Ski9393, is there a T inside a triangle on the receiver? If so its a Tikka. Go to that website you had listed above in your post, then go to the Finland section, click on M91, then scroll down till you see Tikka in bold type, then check out the receivers with the B you described. It concerns bore diameter in this instance and is not a B barrel.
  2. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

damn I thought someone was shooting muslims :mad:
  3. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

No, no T inside a triangle, It isn't a Tikka I guess, at the above mentioned website they said the reciever was possible Austrian, it is kind of a bird, family coat of arms looking thing stamped on the reciever, I have to get a cord for this camera so I can post a picture of it. Without it being a Tikka, what does that B mean? I thought that B dealt with bore diameter for all of the Finn Mosin Nagants. That's what happens when you allow a Pollock to think I suppose.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

aside from the writing, or lettering above this crest, this is exactly what have on the reciever of my Mosin. Mine has no letters above or below the "crest". The only lettering is on the barrel at the chamber.
    PHP:

Attached Files:

5. momo

momo Former Guest

Ski9393, the crest you refer to is a proof commission mark. It's the Romanov double headed eagle with the letters IIK beneath it. The lettering over it is unknown to me. If the barrel is not a Tikka, then the B may mean its a B barrel. Is there a date on the receiver? Just about all the B barrels were manufactured in 1942, although there have been reports that a handfull were made in 1943. The B indicates a barrel that was imported from Belgium.
  6. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

I didn't find any dates on the reciever, the barrel, as you said, is stamed 1942. I think I remember seeing something in the reciever stamped 1905, that was when I pulled it down to shim the trigger and give her a good scrubbing. It was late at nite when I did this so I may have fabricated it in my mind.

So this was a barrel blank from Belgium then correct?
  7. momo

momo Former Guest

More than likely the barrel blank came from Belgium. Can you post a picture of it?
  8. big steve

big steve New Member

WOW THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL.
  9. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Steve as soon as I have the tech to post a picture of it you can bet I'll be showing it off
    I'm a broke college punk
  10. momo

momo Former Guest

Finally tracked down OEWG, it stands for the Austrian Arms Factory Steyr.
  11. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Thanks Momo. I posted pictures of my homemade sniper in the "show me your mosins" forum if anyone wants to take a look.
  12. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Here's some pics of my handi-work.

Attached Files:

13. momo

momo Former Guest

Ski, that's a nice looking Finn M91 you got there.
  14. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

I think she's a little rough looking, but I'm very proud of it, none the less. It took alot of work to get that scope right. I had to shim it to get a proper sight picture because the crosshairs move rather than the sight picture.
    Believe it or not, but a couple months ago I had it at the range, my buddy and some of his family were there. I let all of them shoot it from a bench with a sandbag at a target 100 yrds out, and you couldn't hardly get a dime over the group it held From all 7 of us!! The trigger pull is down to 2 1/2 lbs which I think had alot to do with it. I can't wait to slay a deer with her.