It's County Fair Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pinecone70, Aug 7, 2009.

1. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Here in MN, we're at the height of County Fair time. I've attended three so far, and the one in my county is coming up next week. I was in 4-H as a kid, showed sheep and built model airplanes to enter, I still have my ribbons and trophies. Now my gun club buddies have tractors they enter in all the tractor pulls, so I've been attending all the fairs to see them compete.

Yesterday, I saw an entry that made me happy. A kid entered an unusual woodworking project, it was an AK-47! :D He carved it and fitted the pieces together and painted it black! :eek: He got a blue ribbon too. I tried to get a picture but the glare from the glass case prevented it.

Does anyone else enjoy a good county fair in the summer??
  2. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

It's the start of county fair time in Maine here too. It'll last through mid-October and most of them are still agriculturally-oriented, which I'm glad to see. It is a great chance to educate kids on farms and farm animals which is sad because kids today don't grow up on farms anymore and don't seem to have a clue.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sounds great, I wish I could be there. We have similar fairs here, but its been a long time since I have been to one.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I enjoy going to the county fair as well. Ours are usually in September though... I guess your fall starts a bit earlier than ours. :D
  5. pawn

pawn Active Member

Yes, ours will be rolling around soon.

If it works out, I might try to hit the MN State Fair this year....
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

The State Fair is fun too. One time, I was walking in a huge crowd at the State Fair, watching a little boy chase a mini donut that was rolling down the street. When he finally caught it, he picked it up and ate it!

Ugh!!
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I like fairs too!! I was in 4-H when I was a kid too. I got a lot of trophies and ribbions in a box in the closet from those days. I had a lot of fun going to the fair but I haven't been to one in years. September is fair time here too. When my kida whine about something not being fair I always ask them if they know what a fair is. Then I'll say that a fair is when the farmers get togather to show off their animals, produce, and tractors. There is also a rodeo and a carinval. They don't like it when I do that to them and my wife really didn't enjoy me telling her that one day. But hey, life ain't fair and the sooner they realize that the better.
  8. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I like county fairs also, especially the food, which I'm not supposed to be eating. It just seems to taste better when your walking around checking out everything and watching the contests.
  9. artabr

artabr New Member

Pinecone, if you see the Jr. woodworker again, please shake his hand for me and give him a thumbs up. :eek: ;) :D

Art
  10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Ours came and went....we missed it. Thing about our community is that there always make-ups. Get together are commonplace. One thing I love about this town.