It's finally hit Texas

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by streetbob, Nov 30, 2012.

1. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

The ammo shortage that is... Went to my local Wolly World to pick up Tulammo 7.62x39's and they were out. Not only out of 7.62x39 they were out of 5.56/223, 22LR, .380ACP, & 9mm Luger. Last weekend I went to my local Academy and they too were very low on 7.62x39, I got their last 2 boxes. LGS is wiped out of 7.62x39, & my other 2 closest Wolly World and Academy were wiped out of 7.62x39 as well. The only thing the Academy had on 7.62x39's were the 600 round "tuna" can Tulammo for $149.97, so it looks like that's what I will be picking up next check.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I hadnt noticed really. Im thinking its just a localized thing. so far exclusive to the bigger cities and such.. which is normal for this time in the political calendar. Doesnt mean you shouldnt stock up, just sayin panic buying is whats causeing the shortages that are happening.. so in my mind youre either part of the problem or part of the solution.. I myself have been stocking up gradually over the last 4 years so I aint feelin, nor will i feel the crunch.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Haven't noticed here. Of course, I haven't looked.

I have been working at stocking up on rimfire rounds and components for everything else for a couple years now. Not as much as I'd like, but I'm OK. Definitely not about to run out of anything.
  4. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

My problem is I have only been putting up for a rainy day now for 1 1/2 years, so I am not at my comfort level yet. Can only do so much on a check and these new dang guns are not helping matters out much :). I will check out the Academy down South tomorrow when I get out of work.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dont forget to hit up the local listings too. 'AL', Want ads. etc. Theres a neat little local station on AM up here from 8-10 every morning called tradefair. 1680 AM. I got 660 rounds of .40 S&W for 80 bucks a few weeks ago..
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I've been squatting on about 3-4000 of those little babys. Same with rim fire and shot shells. Plan ahead! Revolution is nigh!
  7. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

Back during the previous ammo panic, I was in a local Walmart store and asked the old guy behind the counter about some ammo.

He went into a tirade about hoarders emptying his shelves.

I asked him wasn't the whole idea of Walmart's putting stuff for sale on the shelves to actually SELL it.

I would consider it success (not a problem) if people were buying what I was selling. And I'd re-fill my shelves ASAP.
  8. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

The only shortage around here is Winchester small pistol primers. Wal-Mart and Academy are well stocked with ammo of all calibers. I can get any primers except the Winchester small pistol. The LGS says they have been on order for four weeks and have no idea when they will get more. CCI, Federal, and Remington primers are available in all sizes
  9. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

No ammo shortage here, although there is slight shortage in small pistol primers right now.

I just picked up a P938 yesterday and the ammo shelves were full. Of course, I know the best places to shop, which is NOT Cabelas.
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was in my truck eating lunch at Sportsman's Warehouse in Nampa, Id. yesterday and as I sat there about every several minutes people were coming out with ammo in there plastic bags. I could see the boxes through the thin plastic. After I finished eating and doing paper work I decided to walk in and check things out. There was no one in the shoe section, or the clothing or knife section, or for the most part any where else in the store. However, people were all over the ammo buying it up. Sportsman's was 110% stocked and I have not seen any shortages in these parts.

IMO, they strategically place the ammo where it will fly off the shelves. Why send it to one state to watch it trickle down when another state will liquidate it quickly?
  11. AR guy

AR guy Member

I went to gander mountain yesterday to pick up some bullets and I was at customer service waiting while they called cabelas for a price match and everybody going to check out had at least 2-3 boxes of ammo. That's here in Joliet,il.. So it's going off the shelves here quick. They still had a decent supply left but that's all people were buying.
  12. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No shortage in my small town LGS, or the local Walmart.
  13. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Order a bunch on-line.