It's IMR for me!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Crpdeth, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I was really injoying using Hodgdon powder for my rifle loads but it looks like I'm going back to IMR.

I was pilfering around in a camping outlet store a couple hours ago, and this dude walks up and ask's if I'm interested in anything in paticular, I almost just said no but I asked if he had any old reloading stuff. The guy asked me to follow him to the back room where he pulls out a box of rifle powder, 15lbs total...He mentioned he would like to sell it, it was there when he bought the place, and he didn't like it in his store...I kinda looked through it and mentioned that I honestly didn't know how much of it I could use because I didn't have my manual with me...We hemhawed around and he spouted off 8 bucks per lb which sounded good, less than half price, but I kinda wanted all of it, and he obviously didn't, so I said "look you can slap me if you want too but I'll give you 40 bucks for the whole box"...the dude looks up and said allright, I sure dont need it.

Upon arriving home I quickly noted that I could use all of it on (at least) these rifles.

1 lb IMR 4831 (25-06/7 Mag)
    1lb 3031 (.223/25-06/
    1lb 4227 (.308/7.62x39)
    1lb 4198 (.223/7.29x39)
    2lbs 4064 (25-06/.223)
    2lbs 4895 (.223/25-06/7 Mag/7.62x39)
    2lbs 7828 (25-06/7 Mag)
    5lbs 4320 (25-06/7 Mag)

LOL, I know you guys dont care, but I just had to brag to someone, my wife sure didn't wanna hear it!

:D

~Crp
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Looks like you scored the jackpot ,my friend. Are there experation dates on any of the stuff? Probably is still good. Just sniff and see if it is sweet smelling or has a vinegar smell to it. I would suspect, by the numbers you said above, that most , if not all would be fine. Way to go!!!!!!

Now, if your weapons like it, you're good to go!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The most accurate powder in my .22-250 is IMR 4064.

One hole groups.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Thanks guys.
    Plano, I checked a few of the cans before purchase, the smell and texture seemed normal, none appeared mottled/clumpled up. Storage was in a cardboard box with paper packing so sunlight wont be a factor.
    I used some bullseye pistol powder a week or so ago that was made by Hercules... Pretty old stuff, I know some of you "gurus" will remember the short cans with the lid that you push in the center to open, then squeeze the sides of the lid to close...The stuff shot really well, but I expected no less, aside from a little coloring difference it apeared no different than some new bullseye powder that I also used that day....I hope this stuff lasts that long, because It seems that It'll be a long time before I use it up.

~Crp
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Ifn y'all needs someone to help y'all use it up, let me know. Great deal you have there. Happy reloading! ;) ;) ;) :D :D
  6. bompa

bompa New Member

Actully the whole lot of those powders are way past expiration date and should be disposed of.. So I will tell you what to do with them.. Send them to me and I will see that they are disposed of in the proper manner..

Well I tried ....

Got to ask about the 4227.. Are you shooting a cast bullet in your 308 ?? Wouldn't use anything that fast with any other type bullet..
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

LOL@Plano! Thanks man.

Bompa: Thanks to you as well, for the heads up....To be honest the .308 is the only caliber I listed that I do not own yet, But I searched my manual under .308 because my cousin wants me to load them for him, also I hope to score a LRS2 in .308 this year (fingers crossed).... I try to be very carefull, but with this many different powders I certainally appreciate you watching my six!

~Crp
  8. bompa

bompa New Member

Had great luck with 4064 and 4320 in the 308 with 150gr hornady
    spire points..Favored the 4320 because it would run through a measure better,smaller grains.....
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yup, 4064 with a 168gr Sierra Match King. Five shots, one ragged hole at 100 mtrs.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Okay guys, I wrote that down...when the time comes I'll definately try that recipe.

~Crp