IT'S ME NEED HELP

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok i got a deal a marlin 60 tube fed for $50 i took this rifle out a long time ago with a guy that knows firearms and the rifle kept jamming so i am getting it for $50 and i am going to see if i can fix it??????? I don't remember exactly what the rifle was doing so do i take it to the range first to see what is happening or do i take it apart first??????
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Shoot it first. You need to know what it is (or isn't) doing before you can have any idea WHY it is or is not doing it.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that's what i thought but wanted to check with u guys first
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

the guy that is selling it has an arsenal and knows firearms guess he does not want to be bothered fixing it?
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Sometimes a good cleaning will work wonders!
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

if it jams take pics of the jam and post it is it jamming after a shot(failure to extract) or mis-feeding?
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i don't remember what it was doing, too long ago i do know the guy with me had me try a bunch of different ammo and none of it worked
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

if i can fix it this will be my lend out rifle so i will have the other one to myself
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Whaaat? You are not letting the hired help use the good crystal:D
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

my other marlin is special to me i would lend it out but would rather shoot it myself
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

give me any opinions u have everyone, have to get off now but will be back tomorrow-thanks
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Thanks Beth, that means a lot to me.;)

Can you take it and give it a good cleaning and shooting before ya put money on it?

If not, I'd pass.

You don't have the experince to repair a mechanical issue, and it would cost more to make it functional than it's worth.

No offense.:eek:
  13. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

If its clean, the problem is most likely the feedthroat. That can be repaired fairly inexpensively. PM if you'd like.
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

:dancingdots:Bob its kinda a challenge to see if i can fix it, with the help of everyone on here i sure it can be done you guys have never failed me before. I also figured i would learn more by doing this who knows it may be a bent spring or something stupid like that. For $50 i'll mess with it and Stone said to pm him if its the feedthroat (thanks Stone). I will try it out write down what is happening and take pictures. Besides it gives me something to bust chops with
  15. dustydog

dustydog New Member

okay,Beth;do you know how to remove the barreled action from the stock?If so,you are 90% there.I'm willing to bet that the Marlin is suffering from what we in the machine trade call "oilitis".Someone has not cleaned it since Moses,and everytime it stalled,they sluiced a half a can of 3in1 oil into the mechanism and cycled the bolt until it ran again.Take the barreled action in one hand and a can of carburator cleaner spray in the other.Spray the guts of the action ,work action,repeat.Use the whole spray can.When empty,discard spray can,cycle action.If it feels gritty,repeat with another can.When it does not feel gritty,stop.Take and put the tinyest drop of good gun oil on the breechblock and any springs/pivots you can reach.Try firing it after re-assmbly.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

stonechimney and dustydog got it Beth. If it still jams after a good thorough cleaning, its gonna be the feed throat or the cartridge lifter spring, most likely the cartridge lifter spring. both are easy fixes.
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok just got more info from the guy that is selling it he says it is 15 years old and has maybe 1000 rnds thru it. I think u guys are right i think a cleaning first?
  18. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

This is going to be a cool thread. A smith is born. I anxiously wait the next episode. Go for it Beth.
  19. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

:lmao2:i'm going Todd may fall flat on my face but i will certainly pick myself up again-can't condem a girl for trying a star may be born
  20. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Dustydog i kinda know how to take it apart and clean it i did it on my other marlin used brake cleaner then oiled and all that the only problem was getting spring back in had to take it to my gun club to have the guys help me