It's Official.......

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Well....it's official....this "died in the wool" wheel gun man is now the proud owner of a new fangled plastic bottom feeder type handgun.
    Picked up a new 4" (service model) Springfield XD in 9mm yesturday morning, and was on the range and shooting the steel plates by noon. I also picked up 6 boxes of CCI Blaser, and quickly evaporated 4 of them in short order. If it was a nicer day (weather wise) I would have stayed until I shot it all up, but it was cold, windy and nasty out there, and I didn't want to expose my new gun to those harsh conditions..... ;)

One quick glance at the instruction book, and this thing falls apart in your hands, cleans up quick, and goes back together just as fast.
    The cool part is, I got one of the Springfield promo deals with three mags, and a fully adjustable kydex holster. The trigger is smooth, with a crisp break, but it's just a little on the heavy side, but with only 400 rounds through it, I'll give it some time to break-in, and I'm sure it'll get even better with use.

After I unloaded the Beretta 96FS I had, I swore I'd never get another bottom feeder again, and here I'am....
    At least this time I had plenty of oppertunity to shoot a couple of these guns before buying one, and that's a big help when buying a gun.

So I guess next I'll have to get the Sub-Compact XD-9, then the 5" Tactical, then one of each in the other calibers..............HELP...I'VE GOT G.A.S..........
    That's Gun Acquisition Syndrom....not the other kind... :D
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Congrats on the new piece, Tony!
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

A dying breed to be sure.
    Enjoy your new toy, make sure to feed it well, and OFTEN. ;) :D
  4. Neil

Neil New Member

glad your happy tony mig. The Promo deal you got sounds pretty dang sweet. Lets seem some Pic's if you would!
  5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

this is funny,never thought i would see the day when u would own an auto.
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I like to think of it as "going over to the dark side".....:lol

This is actually the third centerfire auto I've owned...(also had a rimfire auto once).....the first was about 20 years ago, and was a Colt series 70 1911, the second was a Beretta 96FS. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with either one of those guns, but this new XD is a different animal, and I'm quite pleased with it. The fact that I got to shoot a couple of them before buying was a big help. I got to shoot two different calibers...(9mm & .40S&W), and two different sizes....(4" service & 5" Tactical). I found that I liked the 4" model over the 5" as it seemed to balance better in my hand, and went with the 9mm for the economy of shooting the cheaper round.
    I'm driving out to a place not far from here called Lawmen's Supply that has 115gr. FMJ Remington-UMC at $59.95 for a 500 round case....that's just $6.00 a box, and I haven't even seen it that cheap on the internet. I'll be picking up 3 cases tomorrow, and with 1,500 rounds in the ammo locker, I should be set for a lot of steel plate shooting....

I did have a heart to heart talk with all my wheel guns, and told them not to worry, this is just a passing fancy, and I won't forget them.....
  7. jerryd

jerryd New Member

Have you tried Wally World? WW white box 9.99 100rds for 9mm also have it for 380 and 45acp, havent tried the xd have a glock 19c fun pistol! Enjoy your new TOY!
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Jerryd, here in The Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey the gun & ammo laws are such that Wally World (at least the one near me) will not carry or sell ammo.
    However, we do have two major chain sporting goods stores that will carry ammo, rifles & shotguns (but no handguns).
    Dick's Sporting Goods carries mostly Remington-UMC, but also offers some calibers in Federal American Eagel, and Ultramax factory reloads. Often they will have a sale on the Rem-UMC in .38Spl. & 9mm Luger for $6.95 per box, but the normal price there is $7.95.

The Sports Authority carries the Winchester white box exclusively, and they do have the 100 round boxes of target ammo in 9mm. However, it's hit or miss trying to actually buy ammo from them because they have to have a salesman there with the state of NJ pink card that certifies the salesman to engage in sales of firearms and ammumition. They don't always have somebody there with this pink card, the couple of times I did go there to buy ammo, there wasn't anyone available to conduct ammo sales, so they could give that stuff away if they wanted, but without a certified arms salesman on duty to properly record the transaction, nobody can get the stuff out of the store.

Another thing a lot of people don't realise about being a gun owner in gun owner's hell...(New Jersey)....The cost to conduct in the firearms trade is much higher in this state then it is in most any other state in America. Numerous license fee's, sepperate permit fee's to import, store & sell gun powder & primers, plus city, county & township fee's are all inflated because New Jersey hates guns and gun owners. This all drives up the cost of doing business, and these guys have to get top dollar on most everything they sell, including clothing & accessories.
    So when 9mm goes for less than $6.00 per box, I jump on it, because I can't even reload it that cheap.......
  9. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

good for u tony, glad to see that u have seen the light.lol
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I haven't had this thing for two weeks, and I already got my eye on my next 9mm bottom feeder......

I don't even think these things have hit the gun stores yet, but by the time I can afford another gun, there should be plenty around....

The Para-Ordance Hawg9....it's the Wart Hog 1911 compact, but in 9mm.

I'm hoping somebody at my range gets one when they become available so I can try it out first. Looks like a pretty cool gun, and would make for a good carry weapon......