It's time for political action, y'all

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 1952Sniper, Aug 1, 2003.

1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Consider this a call to arms, as it were.

I've been having some interesting discussions on another forum, about apathy in the firearms community. It's interesting to note all the whining and bitching that people do about liberals and anti-gunners, yet most gun owners don't have the motivation to write a simple letter to their representatives in government. All the flowery rhetoric about "from my cold dead hands" doesn't mean squat in my opinion if you don't even have the gumption to write a letter. After all, how can anyone believe that you would fight to the death for your rights if you won't pick up the fight now while it's still easy?

So I'm challenging all of you to get involved. Don't tell me that you're a member of NRA or GOA or JPFO or any other organization. That's fine and dandy... I'm a member of several organizations myself. But I want to see what YOU are doing to let your people in Washington know how you feel about your gun rights.

I told y'all a while back that I was going to post a letter that I wrote to my Congresscritters. I mailed the letters but forgot to post them here. So I'm posting it now. If you haven't already alerted your elected officials on the issue of the AW Ban sunset, here is your golden opportunity. Just copy and paste this letter into your word processing program (like Microsoft Word), make whatever changes you need to make in order to fit your situation, print it out, and mail it off. It doesn't get any easier than that.

And FWIW, if you don't know who your Senators and Representatives are, go to http://www.senate.gov and http://www.house.gov and find out. These websites will tell you their name and address and link you to their websites.

Also, you need to let the President know your stance. Go to http://www.gunowners.org/pcards.htm and you can print out postcards to mail to the President. Print out lots of 'em, or you can even buy them in pre-printed packages. Send them to your friends. Leave some at the gun range. Pass them out at gun shows.

IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS AT ALL, YOU NEED TO TAKE ACTION.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2003
  2. Mausermania

Mausermania New Member

1952Sniper,

Not twenty minutes ago I was thinking about this very "problem" that we as gunowners face. If "we" (the firearms community) could put our differences aside we just might amount to something!

Instead of having a large group with a purpose we have several smaller groups or factions going in several directions. The hunters say the government won't take their shotguns and bolt action rifles .They think its only directed at so-called assault weapons. Then you have people that mostly shoot target. The target crowd thinks they won't have to worry about their weapons be outlawed since they don't hunt OR own AW's. If thats not bad enough ,some collectors think that they have nothing to worry about! And on it goes.........

Talk about confusing! When is all is said and done the whole truth of the matter is that anti's want them ALL regardless of what you do with your guns.

United we stand or divided we fall never had so much meaning. If we could only pull together instead of apart!!

I for one have written,emailed, and called my representatives both locally and the national level!

These people are supposed to work for us. Lets remind them!
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'm with ya Sniper. I think Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison and Representative Sam Johnson get tired of sending me monthly form letters. I do know that both of them are on our side, or at least they say they are. I'm waiting to see how they do. Thanks for the activation of this important subject again!
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Mausermania, you're right. It really chaps my hide that most gun owners have no idea of the bigger picture when it comes to firearms. My coworkers here at the office all own shotguns or deer rifles, but don't care about 2nd Amendment issues. They think all this gun control stuff doesn't really apply to them. They don't keep up with what's going on politically and they don't care.

I'm getting really sick and tired of the fact that only 5% of gun owners (that's just a guess) are doing all the work. The rest are getting a "free ride". If we would all pitch in and do just a little bit of work on these issues, we could overwhelm the anti-gunners.

What's even more shocking is when I hear a guy who only owns a shotgun for dove hunting saying that he agrees with harsh gun control measures for things like handguns. People like this should be ashamed of themselves.

It's actually very simple to get involved and help restore our rights. All it takes is printing out a freakin' letter and putting a 37-cent stamp on it. It's just such a shame that people are so apathetic about it. They would rather sit in their easy chairs and complain.

And this doesn't just apply to firearms issues. I hear people moaning and groaning all the time about all sorts of political issues. I challenge every one of you, when you hear someone complain about the laws, to ask the person who is complaining who their Congressmen are. If they can't even answer that question, you should jump on them. Tell them they have no room to complain if they haven't even made the simple effort to tell their elected officials how they feel. Most of them will get mad and start making excuses. But you need to convince them to get involved. Shame them into it, if necessary.
  5. Shizamus

Shizamus New Member

You're right Sniper, gun owners themselves are very
    ignorant on many facts. Gun owners I talk to really
    believe it is about duck hunting and don't have a
    clue about the 2 Amendment. Just ask some of them,
    where do your rights come from or what makes you think
    you have rights...some of the answers I get !

Some of the Gun shows I go to there are no tables that
    would have info on 2 Amendment issues, yet there are
    plenty of tables with duck hunting info.
    If I had the time I would put up a table at gun shows
    with radical info(so to speak) about the 2nd Amend.
    and other related Constitutional issues.
  6. Mausermania

Mausermania New Member

Here is a recent personal experience!

A couple months prior to this past election that we had(Nov 02) in Maryland for Governor on down I had ordered "voter registration forms" and "absentee ballot forms" for all of the residents where I live at (about 90 forms of each)to try to get people interested in their government!

I live in an apartment complex for the elderly and/or disabled. I am disabled. We had TWO monthly resident council meetings(before deadline) at which I told EVERYONE that if you need either form I have it plus I can help you fill it out. I even offered to donate a few stamps to help the cause too!! And there's a mailbox with daily pick-up right at the building entrance!!

Well,to make a long (and disturbing)story short ,you can't believe the freakin' excuses I got! The top ones were:

1)I don't have time!
    2)I don't know how!
    3)It won't make any difference!
    4)I don't really care!

These aren't quite in order as it varied from day to day and so on.

Do you want to know how many took advantage of either application ! (are you sure you want to know?)

ONLY TWO PEOPLE!! TWO people out of NINETY!!

I know about apathy firsthand! The really sad thing is that this wasn't just about 2nd Amendant Rights. This had to do with voting altogether regardless of which party you belong to or certain issues. Only a couple knew which politician to vote for that had a track record for helping the elderly and disabled !!

I gotta stop......I'm so po'ed its not funny and I can't see straight!

How many of the "new" generation you think are gonna vote conservative and pro 2nd Amendant ??

PS.The above rant doesn't even begin to address the problems that we as gun owners face!

Shiz,

I know what you mean about tables with info for the SECOND Amendment as opposed to "other" literature!

1952Sniper,

Its probably less that 5%! I have spoken to two close lifelong friends about the problems and unconstitutional laws associated with owning firearms. They BOTH said that its not gonna happen and one said that not in his lifetime but maybe my kids!

My answer to both was "Its already happening,and NO it won't be in your childrens lifetime but ours!! At the rate were goin' our kids will only have pictures to look at instead of passing guns down to our kids"!!
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Shizamus, one of your comments caught my eye. The word "radical".

It's amazing how many people think that if you are a gun owner and are interested in the 2nd Amendment, you are a "radical". In this day and age, talking about preserving our rights will get you automatically branded as a whacko.

IMHO, it's incredibly difficult to talk to people about these issues without coming across as an anti-government militia type. People start rolling their eyes or smirking when you talk about it. It absolutely amazes me, the amount of brainwashing people have succumbed to.

Even the fact that most of our TFF members here are ignoring this thread bothers me. Of the 654 members we have, only 4 of us are involved in this discussion so far. Maybe some have read this post, but brushed it off. I'll bet no one has even bothered to do anything in response to my challenge. Everybody wants to talk about their latest gizmo that they've added to their rifles, but nobody wants to discuss the very core issues of our right to keep and bear arms. I personally find it disgusting. No offense meant to anybody here, but this discussion is pretty typical of firearms owners. A very small percentage of people actually care. The rest are content in ignoring the problem, hoping that it will go away. Yet they love to sit around and whine about unfair gun control laws.
  8. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sniper, sorry I'm late jumping into this discussion. I've been out of pocket most of the weekend. I have previously corresponded with my Congressmen over this and other issues, and will continue to do so.

I too am dismayed at the lackadaisical attitude of so many gun owners. We are too easily lulled into a false sense of security. I am reminded of the words of Rev. Martin Niemoller:

First they came for the Communists,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one
    left to speak up for me.

We MUST learn to speak up. Our rights are slowly being eroded, and if we don't DO something, rather than just talking about it, soon we will have no rights at all.
  9. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

Listen to Bob Dylan....

The right to have and carry weapons is the right on which all other rights are based. Rhetoric does not mean a lot, when the time comes to water the Liberty Tree....

"For the times, they are a-changing...."
  10. Mausermania

Mausermania New Member

I have always believed that if something is worth having then "its worth fighting for"!

Then you have "from my cold dead hands" that Mr.Heston made famous once again.

To me they're not only a saying or a motto but its exactly how I feel. I know several gun owners besides my "friends" and out of that there is probably two that will stand up for their beliefs besides myself . One is a new friend who I met almost a year ago on another board who happens to be local, and the other person is my son.I thought he was going to grow up as a pacifist/liberal since he spent soo many years with my ex-wife but he has turned out just fine!

He knows how to handle guns in a safe and responsible manner and when he hunts (or fishes)he only takes what he will eat. On a par with that he understands having to stand up for your beliefs even if its not a popular issue with some,plus he VOTES!

I still can't believe how organized the anti's are on this subject. OTOH I can't understand how some of them can spew lies and misinformation and still keep a straight face (or sleep at night)! Once in a while I try to educate sheeple that I meet but it becomes very frustrating. Many don't understand the meaning of the 2nd Amendent or protecting oneself. They're brainwashed into thinking the police will protect them from harm! Who's gonna protect them from themselves?

When will people realize that they must be responsible for their actions (or lack of)?

There is alot of truth and in these words: UNITED WE STAND OR DIVIDED WE FALL !

Maybe the masses will wake up before its too late. If not they get what they deserve!
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I understand how you feel. Back when we were fighting the "It's a Crime, Bill," I closed my company and started a newsletter. I got active with several politicians, worked on their campaigns and bills, and generallly made a nuisance out of myself. I was never able to get my company started again, spent all our retirement savings, and ended up here, broke and working for the local government (school district.) I don't regret any of that effort.

I still write regularily and call often. I have one congresscritter who will take my calls even is she is on the floor. I have another who will not accept my calls at all. Each of those results is a success. :D

I'm not as invloved as I used to be, but I'm still involved. I haven't posted to this thread before, because I was lazy or something. I tend not to preach to the choir, as a general rule. I'd rather bang my head against the wall than open the door, I guess. Perhaps I'm naive in that sense, as yes, the average gun owner needs to be awakened, just as does the average citizen.

A thought for you to ponder: What was the percentage of the citizenry of 1777 involved in the political side of the war? I've read estimates ranging from 5 to 15%. A minority CAN make a change.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2003
  12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I would probably disagree with that percentage, Pops. But I couldn't prove it one way or the other, so it's a moot point. :) Perhaps only 5 to 15% did the actual fighting, but it was the effort of the population as a whole that won the war. From the women who sewed uniforms and cooked hot meals for battle-weary troops to the kids who took care of the farms. Only a small percentage may have done the political and physical dirty work of the revolution, but it couldn't have happened without the support of the majority.

I do think that a small group of people can make a difference. The trick, though, is to overpower your opponents. Unfortunately, so far the anti-gun establishment has made a lot of progress in this, while we have done very little. It is incumbent on us all to not only get involved and pull our weight, but to kick others in the pants and get them involved too. That's what I'm doing with this thread. If I can get just one person to take action that they wouldn't have taken otherwise, then I will feel like I've done something. I can write letters and make phone calls to Congress all day long, but it won't make any difference if I'm just one person. We must be motivators. We must raise our own "army" of political activists. Because, after all, that's what this is all about. We are fighting a war. It's "us" versus "them". The House and Senate are just the battlefield.

So let's all stop making excuses and whining about the way things are. Let's put our focus on the task at hand. Let's get out there and get people moving. Time is our enemy; our foes are plotting daily against us. They are using the "conquer and divide" strategy. Let's pull together everyone we can. Anyone who has the smallest vestige of patriotism in them should join us in preserving the basic ideals of liberty. And they won't join us unless we can rally them under one flag.

Sorry for the flowery rhetoric there, but you get my point.
  13. Thed

Thed New Member

Yer gonna make me cry...... :D

-Thed
  14. Mausermania

Mausermania New Member

Thed,

Welcome aboard! Always glad to meet a new member!
  15. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Hi Thed! Welcome to TFF!