It's time

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Roadkil, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Tomorrow morining I will be hunkered down somewhere watching and waiting. I have not taken a deer on the opening day of archery season yet, so maybe this is the year.

I am ready. These are the only four shots I took last night after weeks of practice. Shot @ 40 yards with my broad heads. I missed the one left some cause I dropped my arm too soon after shooting, but it would have been a kill shot in the field.

Yes I need a new target. I shot the neck off last year practicing neck shots, and I can no longer shoot @ the vital area cause the arrows will pass through to the shed. So that left the 2 inch circles I drew on the hind quarters this year.

Happy hunting and good luck to all.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Nice shootin and good luck.
  3. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Nice butt shooting :) seriously good luck though, hope you score,
  4. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

well it's 5 am on the 24th (EST) and I imagine you have been up all night, tossing and turning, counting sheep (or does) and wishing you could just get an hour or two before it's time to go. Don't forget the bug juice, a snack, water, phone, release, arrows, knife, flashlight, deer scent, call, camo hat, face mask, hanki, camera, pee bottle, license, first aid, compass, toilet kit, lighter, wallet, drag rope, prunners, glasses, kleenex, maps, and bow.
    Good luck.
    Fred

let us know what happened.
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Just wondering.......I can't tell from the pics....Were you trying to put the arrows in the circles or to not put the arrows in the circles? :D:D:D:D
  6. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

He might be like me, always save the bullseyes for latter. :D:D:D
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

.......think he's still in the woods????
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would be. Ill be doing the very same thing come next saturday morning..
  9. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

I got hungry so I came in for awhile......:)
  10. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

So the report so far is as follows:

Saw a handful of does over the weekend, but none meandered close enough for a shot. Got busted trying to sneak up on doe in a bean field on Saturday evening. Legal shooting light was fading and since she was happy stuffing herself on soy-beans I tried to inch closer and got busted about 60 yards out.

After seeing nothing Sunday I sat down on a log to rest. I heard walking behind me and had my bow in hand, arrow knocked, and just waiting for whatever was walking behind me to walk in front of me. All of a sudden silence and then I heard the stomping of a hoof as deer do when trying to figure something promptly followed up by the snorting they do when alarmed and run off. Never did see what it was.

Hunted last night after work and set up in a ground blind on a bean field. Again saw several does and a decent enough 6 point, but they all stayed out of bow range.

Seeing a good healthy herd of deer, now I just need to get one to walk closer to me. Until then I will continue hitting the woods and the fields.
  11. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Both.:D

the arrows went exactly where I wanted them.....yeah that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D
  12. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

thanks for the report and good luck. keep us posted.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Go to the feed store and grab you a half square of alfala to sit on in your blind. ;) Theyll come closer. :)
  14. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Still without but I continue seeing them. Funny story to share:

I specifically picked out a deer trail to hunt Sunday between two hills. I was hunting from the ground and I had set up behind a huge oak tree that gave me good cover. The sole purpose was to watch the deer trail on the opposite hill side for any coming down. Once they reached the bottom of the hill it was a 20 yard shot.

Well we had north winds in the 15-20 mile an hour and the high was in the 40’s range that weekend so it was hard to hear and cold. After holding the bow in my hand for over an hour and not seeing anything I set it on the hook I strapped to the tree and started looking through the binos. Between gusts of wind I was hearing some commotion behind me and turned around to look through the shrubs. Sure enough I spotted legs of a deer, but could not see what it was, and it was working its way to me down the hill I was on. So I slowly turned around to get my bow off the hook and when I did I was staring into the face of a doe that had walked down the hill and up to the point I was at. She was less than 10 yards from where I stood.

Needless to say she quickly did an about face and went down the hill and halfway up the other then turned around to try and figure out what had spooked her. At that point she was about 60 yards from me and secluded behind some shrubs. After a few mins. she decided that whatever I was it was not worth it and walked away.

And I never did see the deer that was working its way to me either. I’m still laughing about it.
  15. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Aw yes, they can sneak up on you for sure! I signed up to hunt Fairhill Maryland, which is a preserve/race track that is polluted with deer. They had to thin the herd so they had a big lottery and I was selected, and picked. On the day of the hunt, 100 or so of us met at the race track and and hour before dawn they loaded us into the back of pick ups and took us to various spots on this huge hilly area behind the track. It was gorgeous. Rolling hills and woodlands, and the day was cool, clear, and quiet. I had loaded up my pack, grabbed my Remington 11-87 slug gun with a 4 power leopold scope, a couple boxes of lightfields, and a folding chair. As the sun came up the woods turned into a magnificant display of fall colors. They had sat me just inside the edge of a wooded area looking down into a revine with a small brook. There were deer trails everywhere. There were deer pellets in piles by my feet. After sun up, there was nothing except the chirping of birds and the scurring of squirrels for almost 30 minutes. Then a shot rang out a couple hundred yards away, then another. Soon there were shots every two to five minutes, but nothing moved in my woods. I drank a cup of coffee to get the morning chill off, keeping my shotgun cradled in my arms. Then I dug into my back pack for my camera, as the little revine was absulutely beautiful. I put the camera up to my eye, and as I focused I realized there was a deer in my viewfinder, not ten feet in front of me! She stood there looking at me looking at her. I didn't even take the picture, I dropped the camera and raised my gun, but she was gone. I couldn't believe it. Shots were going off all around me and here when the deer came into range (sling shot range!) I had a camera in my hand instead of a gun. No more drinking coffee, no more trying to take pictures, I was ready. Then, within the next 40 minutes I harvested five (5) nice does, all over 80 pounds. The furthest shot was 50 yards. To top it off, after the 5th doe, a warden came in from the field, asked if I had my 5 deer and I said I've shot them, but haven't dressed any or anything, and he said okay, turned around, whistled, and a group of young men came into the woods, went into the revine and drug all of the deer to the field, threw them into a truck, helped me in with my gear, and drove us to the field house. There, as I had a cup of coffee, they dressed the deer, examined them for babies etc, tagged them, and asked how many I wanted to donate for the hungry. I gave all away except for one nice sized tasty lookin critter. By 10:30 AM I was on the way home with my deer, had donated to the hungry, and had memories to last a life time.
    For one reason or another I never made it back there. what a hunt.