It's time

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Roadkil, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Finally!

One down. Just a six pointer that was shot @ 20 yards with my bow still/stalk hunting on public land yesterday.

I was coming down a hill on a deer trail and I spotted him on the opposite hillside. He walked right to me and as soon as he quartered away from me I let it go and hit him just behind the shoulder. Pass through shot that broke the arrow and he ran about 70 yards before giving up the ghost on a hillside.

The drag out was miserable, but it goes with the territory. He is now quartered up and in the fridge. I will begin processing tonight.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Way to go! Still, you haven't got one on opening day! Saving that one huh! Don't bow hunt any more, but Nov 5th, the guns come out!
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Way to go Roadkil. I am anxiously awaiting saturday morning, opening day for muzzle loader :). I wish I could bow hunt but the last time i drew back on a bow, i think i missed the ground that's how bad I am. Gotta get a cross-bow.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice Kill. I cant wait
  5. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Nice work! diligence pays off in the end! You are makin me hungry right now! Looks like a mighty tasy specimen. Congrats!
  6. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Several comments:

1. WAY TO GO!!!!!! NICE DEER. GREAT REPORT.

2. I see the problem from earlier......keystone light. :p

3. I have never seen a deer tied up like that. Ever. Looks like a May Pole! :):):):) (bet a bunch of you never did the may pole in your school, it was a 50s thing>)

4 WAY TO GO!!!!!! NICE DEER. GREAT REPORT
  7. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Thanks all.

jstgsn the rope tied around the deer is from the gambrel that he is hanging from and it is holding in the bags of ice I packed in the cavity before skinning and quartering him up.;)

And yes I do enjoy my adult beverages:D
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

So where are they? JK
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

if your aim is at the neck or heart.....your at the wrong end.
  10. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

2nd deer is down and this was close to being the deer that never was.

I shot a button buck Sunday Morning about 8:00 AM @ 15 yards on the ground while still/stalk hunting. I hit it broadside and it took off running towards and then onto private property that adjoins East Fork Sate Park. I didn’t think he was going far because he staggered and almost fell just at the private property line. I waited 20 minutes to go look at the area where I shot him at and based on what I found, white hair and my arrow smelling of intestines, I waited an hour before tracking it. I then had to obtain permission from the land owner to track across his property and this took another 30-40 minutes.

Once I started tracking I was finding good blood and gobs of snot from the deer blowing it out of his nose. After about 100 yards the blood trail was drying up and I lost it. I started making circles in the area where I had seen the last blood and was poking around near the edge of a hill when I jumped a deer up on the hill across from me. At first I didn’t think it was the same deer, but this deer just ran up the hill far enough to get in and around some cover. After it stopped I looked through my binoculars as he stood in a thicket and I could see part of his stomach dangling out of him, red really sticks out amongst the green foliage. He started walking away and was really struggling, head down and staggering. I backed out immediately and went home. I waited 2 hours before heading back out to look for him.

I could not find one drop of blood from where I last marked it. Not one drop where I last saw him standing either. I poked around the area and started walking up and down the hill. I was zig-zagging up and down that hill looking in every thicket and under/around any trees that were on the ground. I was halfway up and looked down to my left down the hill and finally spotted what I thought looked like a deer laying in some high weeds near the lake. I looked through my binoculars and sure enough it was a dead deer, but I was not sure yet that it was the one I shot. After I got to it and flipped him over I could confirm that it was mine as part of his stomach was hanging out of the exit wound of the arrow. He was warm still and just starting to stiffen up.

My shot was not as bad as I thought initially, wasn’t that good either obviously. I hit him square broadside behind the shoulder, a little low below the ribs, but due to the angle that I was at when I shot him and where he was it exited on the other side of his belly. I was up the hill from him a bit shooting down towards him. When gutting him I saw that I had sliced a small area of his liver and that was it. I finally got it home around 5:00 PM Sunday night.

Needless to say I was ecstatic when I recovered this guy.
  11. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Dude! Great hunt! That deer is gonna be way more tasty than the last one! Hahahaha! Thats an awesome animal to be so tuff...kinda frust'ratin, but dang! Deer are tough critters! You did everything right. Good work man!