1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ivan Johnson's 16 ga

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by juniormint, Mar 13, 2010.

1. juniormint

juniormint New Member

I just purchased a 16 Gauge Iver Johnson's Arm's & Cycle Works, Fitchburg Mass SN: 24741. Does anyone have any idea when this was made? Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

my research has indicated that iver johnson single barrel shotguns with out letter sufix to the serial number were made in the 1909 to 1919 era.

iver johnson's arms & cycle works
    CHAMPION MODEL 36--------------------------------------------1909-1922
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, and 20; barrel length: 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; American black Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; case hardened receiver (nickel available as option), browned barrel; automatic ejectors extra cost option; .410 bore, 24 and 28 gauges offered in 1913; 24 gauge dropped 1928; all gauges except 12 dropped after 1941; name changed to Champion single Barrel in 1917.
    CHAMPION SINGLE BARREL------------------------------1923-1978
    This is the same gun as the earlier Model 36 champion except that the smaller gauges are now built on the same frame as the large gagues. See above picture for specifications. The exact year production stopped has not yet been determined. Some of these single barrel shotguns have been seen with Canadian marking, these were most likely shipped to Canada and then marked as there is no evidence that Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works ever had a manufacturing factory in Canada
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$95
    Add 15% for 24, 28 gauges

bill
  3. kahala

kahala New Member

Hello to all,
    I just joined this site today and I too have an Iver Johnson 16 gauge. I have the same old questions that most everyone else does. However if you could give me your thoughts or facts on the serial number on my gun, that would be wonderful, thanks.
    " Champion" 16 gauge out of Iowa. Single barrel, No safety that I see of.
    The serial number is 90002 A.. The 9 and the zero's that follow are the size font size. The 2 is about 1/3 less the size of the 9 and the zero's. Also the A is 1/3 less than the first four numbers. 9 0 0 0 2 A
    ..This gun was given to my father by a mutual friend of his family back in Iowa when he as just a kid. I believe I remember my father telling me that he was given this gun at the age of 12. My father was born December 5th, 1912..... The value of this gun as I see it's worth, is the fact that it was my fathers. If this gun happens to be worth more than the standard ones that I have been reading about, please let me know.

Thanks
    Bill

The stamped words read exactly:
    IVER JOHNSON'S
    ARMS & CYCLE WORKS
    FITCHBURO MASS USA
    CHAMPION
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Bill.
    I'm sure Mr. Goforth can answer your question (s)!
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the iver johnon 's single barrel shotgun with a single letter code suffix were made between 1920 and 1929. the differences in the letters and the numbers just mean a different set of dies were used. to the best on my knowledge all iver johnson prewar serial numbers were hand stamped and this continued on until at least 1956. see above for values.

i have a good friend who went to work for iver johnson (fresh out of high school) about 1954 or so. his first job was hand stamping serial numbers on single barrel shotguns.

bill
  6. kahala

kahala New Member

Thank you for your reply.. I have a few other gun questions, I'll post a little later. Best to All :)