1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I've mounted my press, ready to go...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Jan 17, 2010.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

I mounted my press and powder charger today and Dad and I are going to get powder and bullets tomorrow. I can't wait and he's excited, too. I've read two manuals, watched the RCBS video a few times, and organized my workbench into a pretty nice "man zone." I can't wait to raise the ram on my Rock Chucker and see what it is you all love you so much. First things first - safety. Secondly, have fun.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice. I've digested all of it and am ready to go. Yes, you'll get an update later this week to see how it all went.

Alex
  2. more forty fives

more forty fives New Member

Congratulation's ! Just remember take your time and be safe.Work out a routine and you will be ok.I think you will love it.:)
  3. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Good luck...always double check and spot check loads even after metering powder.
  4. Waldog

Waldog Member

The best single bit of advice I can give is, NEVER, repeat, NEVER have more than one can of gunpowder on your loading bench while you are loading. The ONLY can should be the powder you are using. If you have a couple of cans on the bench I can guarantee you will eventually dump powder into the wrong can. VOILA! Now you have a worthless can of powder. Try and figure out how I know this!!!
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Right on!! Hope you enjoy it like I am.

I have sucessfully loaded three batches since getting my press for Christmas. I'm hooked!! There's a certain satifaction in it. Kinda like tying your own flies and then catching a nice trout with them. Brings things a little more full circle.

I was also suprised to see that my home loads are actually grouping tighter than the factory ammo. I shoot some of both side by side at each trip, and three times in a row, it has been the same. Better groups from my home brew!

Enjoy!
  6. Sandman

Sandman Member

I got the Lee anniversary kit for my birthday in December. I loaded my first (test) round this weekend to learn the process. Everything went smoothly, and today at lunch I am going to the range to create some empty brass. This weekend I try to load my first full box of ammo.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

It is too late to save you, young apprentice reloaders.

Once you have gone to the dark side, forever will you be searching for lost brass at the range. :D
  8. RandyP

RandyP Member

I had to chuckle. Just yesterday the couple at the booth next to me went thru about three boxes of factory ammo and then just packed up their gear and left the brass on the floor.

I felt like I had found the treasure of the Sierra Madres or sumthin' as I scooped up all that sweet,sweet once-fired 9mm into my used brass carry sack - lol
  9. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Congratulations Alex and welcome to reloading. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you aren't sure about something. Load safe and have fun.
  10. mikld

mikld Active Member

+1.
    Empty your powder measure after EVERY session. Plus you just might dump some fast pistol powder into one of your rifle cases and wind up losing a gun, or an eye, or fingers, or all the above!

Go slow, double check, then check again! Enjoy...
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  11. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Hey...also double check the primer boxes...The federal brand of large pistol and large rifle are very similar and do not grab the wrong one.

J
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I would like to expand on the "Routine" part. I use a loading block, placing all brass bottom up. Then as I resize, and de-prime, I place them back in the block bottoms down. As I clean the primer hole, they go back in the block bottom up. As I prime each case, they again go into the block bottom up. As I dump in the powder, they go back in the block bottom down. A quick look at the block will tell me which brass has powder, and primers, and which ones don't. If I have to leave the loading process for any reason, I can come back latter, and continue on without worring about a double charge of powder.
  13. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Thanks for the additional info, folks. Much appreciated.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Wildcat, you know that feeling of anticipation you have right now having your first handloaded rounds and that feeling of accomplishment. I define it as that knot in your throat thats hard to swallow and butterflies in your stomach. Its all good feelings and will make you holler out loud when your rifle prints 1/2 inch groups with YOUR loads... That, my friend is what we are all addicted to. Its like being addicted to heroin except as long as you follow directions you wont die... Believe me, you can have withdrawals from reloading;)
  15. vulcrider

vulcrider Member