I've rigged up a makeshift flamethrower and....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Sep 8, 2005.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

...and tomorrow those ragweed plants are TOAST !!!!! :D

Seriously, I'm using a week wacker...i just wanted to get y'alls attention for a moment there... :D

mike
    gn
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Use "Remedy" herbecide ($100-120 / gallon) with an equal amount of Ester 2,4-D ($20/gallon)... Use 4 oz. per gallon of each. Kills all weeds, and no grass... I use it to kill the heck out of Kudzu. It works with 0.5 oz. per gallon of Remedy and Ester 2,4-D each, on Blackberries. Eradicates them... I just used that combo tonight on ragweed and annoying ferns...
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  3. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

But the herbicides don't sound near as much fun as a flame thrower. Our new Harbor Freight tool store has a flame thrower attachment for a regular propane tank for $20.00 and that gas will last a good while. Whooooweee!
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

$120 a gallon ?!! :eek: Wow

I've still got an entire hillside to mow. Got the majority of it today. Ragweed sure likes to grow on dirt piles and where ever the dozers plowed through the woods. It does'nt compete with other weeds so well, but when it gets a start in churned ground....lookout !!! :mad: Stinking junk...

Do you spray in on at the base of the plant or just on the plant itself ??

mike
    gn
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

It's a foliar spray, so you just spray the leaves. It's good to use a marking dye, and a surfactant to make sure it adheres well to the leaf... You can get by with way less than 4 oz. per gallon, but I like that amount because it's quick!... The Ester 2,4-D is kind of a spike for that cocktail... Yeah, $100-120/gallon, but it lasts forever spraying blackberries at 0.5 oz. per gallon... That amount would probably be sufficient for a slow kill of ragweed.

The guys at the supply store call it liquid gold... ;)
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

How long do you think it would take to kill the ragweed plant once its on it ??

At this point would it do any good to kill it. The pollen the plant has produced could still become airborne... I wonder if a live ragweed continues to produce pollen ? Or is it got as much as its gonna have at this point ?

mike
    gn
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Ask your county extension agent about weeds & such. They keep up with that stuff for farmers, gardeners, etc.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You mean the government ?? Heck no !!! The next thing you know they'll find some protected plant or flower growing on those dirt mounds and whola, the quarry gets shut down to protect them....

Forget that.

mike
    gn
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

The Extension Service works through the land grant college of your state. They are an amazing resource for information. My wife started working in Yell Co. back in Nov. and I've been amazed at all the information they have. And another good part about it is most of the stuff is free.

They're not that way. They are basically just there to get the information that the colleges have into the hands of the public and to help out farmers and families by giving them all this information. Your county ag agent can probably give you the best herbicide for what you're spraying and the recommended rate just off the top of his head. The do field tests for chemical companies and do thier own testing sometimes, so they know what works.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh. So i would call...the college ?? :confused:

gn
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

No, each county has thier own office. The should be listed in the phone book under Cooperative Extension Service(i think). If you are in Arkansas thier website is www.uaex.edu. You can click on "Counties" to find where you live and it will bring up the contact information for the office and idividuals in the office.
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh... ok. Thanks :)

mike
    gn