1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ive Tried This Before - But I Will Try Again - Looking For.....

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Inthewind1976, May 6, 2011.

1. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Back in the early 1990's, Norinco was manufacturing a bolt action sporter in 7.62x39. I saw ads in Shotgun News and Gunlist and I BELIEVE, if my old moldy memory serves me, that it was Navy Arms or Gibbs that was importing em. The rifle was not a sporter built on a military action, but rather a "new manufacture" rifle, with a Weatherby-like high gloss stock, and a removable magazine and was a short handy carbine. At the same time, CAI was selling 7.62x39 rifles built on small ring Mauser actions, and I snoozed and losed because I couldnt decide which way to go. ANY HOW...........I have been searching, including EXTENSIVE web searching over the last couple years for info on the Norinco-made one, and have had ZERO success. Does anyone even REMEMBER the thing? Does anyone HAVE one? Does anyone have back issues of either publication that they could take a look at, to see if they can find the original ad? Any help would be appreciated. At the time, if I remember correctly, the new Norinco was $239 and the Century was $209. Thanks in advance for any info anyone can find.
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Can't help with the Norinco. You probably already know Zastava makes an excellent bolt action carbine in this caliber. Model 527 I believe.
  3. 1223745302

1223745302 New Member

I support the Norinco
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Do you mean the Norinco JW 103 ?

or the Norinco JW 101 ?

the 103 was 1955 or so onwards until i think the early 70's
    here in Australia they called it "the bush ranger"

the 101 was a copy of the Zavasta M48 and is as rare as rocking horse manure
    except in New Zealand where it seems they all ended up cheap

heres a 103
    http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/JW-103.shtm

if i remember right Chinese made weapons have issues with importation to the USA
    existing ones ( ones imported before the legal issues) i dunno about .. but should still be about
    i know california recalled some chinese auto weapons , but bolt actions should not be recalled ( from what i read only eh)
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Jack - thanks for the info. The 103 is def not the one I was thinking about. Usually the importation of bolt actions arent affected by all the importation issues that have been imposed on handguns and black guns. Perm - I am familiar with the Z, but I have been "curious" about the particular oddball that I am looking for, for years. One of those "searches for a unicorn" that wouldnt be the same any other way.
  6. Jorge_in_Oz

Jorge_in_Oz New Member

Inthewind1976 the rifle you are talking about is the Norinco Model 64 which is a copy of the Winchester Model 70 pre-64.

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to buy one in 7.62x39 and converted it to 303 Brit. Had the same idea.

I'm from Australia and new to this forum, I hope the infor helps.

Cheers

Jorge
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day Jorge Welcome to TFF ! cheers for helping !
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hey Jorge, welcome to TFF.
  9. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Jorge - I used some of the info you provided and did some additional searches, and found more information than I had previously been able to find. It would appear that the rifle that I am looking for is a Norinco EM331. The info that I found indicates that Val Forgett (Navy Arms) brought in a trial run (250) of a Norinco bolt action repeater about 15 years ago. That is consistent with what I remembered, and so is the model number, now that I see it in print. It appears that Navy Arms never imported any more than the original 250 because for some reason the rifle just didnt "go over." Thanks for the info you provided because by following threads that developed from searching the Model 64 info you gave me, I found the EM331 info. I really appreciate the help, as I have been searching off and on for years and never got this far before. WELCOME TO TFF Jorge. :)
  10. Jorge_in_Oz

Jorge_in_Oz New Member

Glad I could be of help.

I will post a picture of one that I'm looking at buying.

Guys thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

Cheers

Jorge
  11. Jorge_in_Oz

Jorge_in_Oz New Member

Got pipped at the post on the Norinco I was looking at. I've attached a picture of it.

Attached Files:

12. acivs1324

acivs1324 New Member

hey, just joined the forum, saw what you were looking for! just bought the 331 yesterday and am looking foward to taking it to the range in a week or two, when i do i'll post the results. got mine for 275 and its a nice looking gun, real smooth action. hope you find one and i'll be posting after the fun at the range!
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum 1324!!
  14. acivs1324

acivs1324 New Member

hey everybody! sorry about the late post, my norinco 331 when sighted in with a crummy tasco 3-9x and using 125 gr mfs el cheapo ammo posted 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds easily! it's going to be my primary deer rifle now, absolutely no recoil and a complete joy to shoot!
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  15. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Welcome Jorge and 1324!!!