1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

iver and johnson cycleworks and firearms

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by justinhm, Jul 8, 2011.

1. justinhm

justinhm New Member

My grandfather was handed down a iver and johnson pistol, it is unusual in the fact that it has all 4 pre-1900 patent dates stamped on the top of the barrel and has a very short serial # F3005 ...I do not have a picture of the pistol at this point but will later in the summer, any info I could get as to it's rank in the manufacture file would be of great help.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

The data you list indicates an early small frame .32 S&W caliber hammer model made in 1899, the 4th year of manufacture. It was made for black powder ammo, and should not be used with modern smokeless powder cartridges.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. justinhm

justinhm New Member

Thank you for the info, I was pretty sure it was a 32 of a 38 by looing at the chambers, I am trying to track the serial # so that I could give him some more info as to it's origins, our late president was assented with a iver and johnson 32 in Buffalo NY in 1908, I know it's not the same pistol, obviously, but wanted more history on his to give him. Any direction to other sites or links for actual documentation would be very helpful, if there are any.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Yes, your grandfather's gun may be a sibling of the one used to shoot President McKinley in 1901.

From wikipedia:

William McKinley assassination
    Presidential assassin Leon Czolgosz shot and wounded U.S. President William McKinley in Buffalo, New York on September 6, 1901 with an Iver Johnson .32 caliber Safety Automatic revolver (serial number 463344). (McKinley later succumbed to these wounds nearly 8 days later, at 2:15 am on the 14th of September). The revolver is currently on display at the Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society in Buffalo.

(The serial number listed may have been miscopied, as I.J. supposedly started anew each time 100,000 was reached)