Iver and Johnson's arms and cycle works 12ga.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by PFeraco, Mar 27, 2012.

1. PFeraco

PFeraco New Member

Hello,
    I'm brand new to this forum and hope someone can help. I inherited an old 12 gauge single shot, split barrel Iver and Johnson's arms and cycle works. The gun is in great shape and wouldn't hesitate to fire it. I would love to know the manufacture year of the gun. It was said to be my grandfathers whom I've never met because he was killed in the 1930's. The serial number is 78020B and it's located behind the trigger guard. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks
    PF
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. EGP

EGP New Member

Also brand new and was reading a number of the threads on a single-shot 12GA Iver and Johnson shotgun. Well worn, given to me by a neighbor along with some Winchester AA trap shot. But, reading some of the threads, it appears that some of these shotguns should be used with black powder only? On the barrel it has Pat Pending Apr 15 02, it has the ring release and a lip where it appears the shotgun shell would fit, serial number on the trigger housing is 46596. Single shot with a rubberized pad. How does one find out the appropriate ammo/shot for this specific shotgun. Going to try the patent search from another thread.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If "ring release" means a ring in front of the trigger you pull to open it, it a black powder model made between 1897 and 1904 and should not be shot with modern shells.

But you need to post photos to confirm what you have.
  4. EGP

EGP New Member

will do and yes the ring is in front of the trigger and used to open the shotgun. Also must pull the hammer back before firing. Will now look for BP 12ga shells and get rid of the shells he gave me
  5. EGP

EGP New Member

Posting. Ed\'s Nokia 1020_20141018_10_26_08_Raw.jpg
    Ed\'s Nokia 1020_20141018_10_24_10_Raw.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014 at 4:31 PM
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the ring-trigger model.

Can barrel be opened when gun is cocked? One might pull wrong trigger when excited!
  7. EGP

EGP New Member

Tried last night and no it cannot/will not. There is a small "rocker" at the pin which does not move as well when the shotgun is cocked.
  8. EGP

EGP New Member

Took it apart today to clean, and took two pictures of the trigger housing. It is the improved model as it has the lever you push to release the pin. Guess I need to find a gunsmith to check it out to see if it is safe to fire. Looking at a couple of other websites, find this one probably cost 9.50 new in 1902-03. Evidently previous owner did fire it with modern trap shot shells so don't know what that did to the barrel. It was pretty dirty and will take some time to fully clean.

Ed\'s Nokia 1020_20141019_11_17_50_Raw.jpg Ed\'s Nokia 1020_20141019_11_18_03_Raw.jpg
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Should just be a wall hanger, looks like mainspring is partly cracked and a wedge stuck in it to compensate for lost tension.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM
  10. EGP

EGP New Member

What it looks like is a huge cotter pin, the width of the housing. I don't have any manuals, books or reference materials to look at, but it really seems to be a very simple construction. The spring/cotter pin connects to the trigger/hammer and that section appears to be very solid and firm. Put a piece of paper under the firing pin and it punched through with good force making a solid hole in the paper. No give or flex in the hammer (no wobble). Not sure if there is rust or just dirt, spent about 3 hours on cleaning this morning and it does look a lot better already. Yes there is something in the middle of the legs/arms of the spring/cotter-like pin and it appears to be like gasket material. I'll try to take a closer picture, but even on the jpg version (1.1 Meg) you can expand it to really see pretty close. Found the same number inside on the housing that is on the trigger itself in two places. Done lots of searching on the web, but cannot find any reference material as to breakdown etc. on this shotgun and books on amazon that might have 1-2 pages in a book of 730 pages all are 44 - 150 and mostly paper not digital.
  11. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

12. EGP

EGP New Member

Went there - thanks. Wish they had a picture. On the web can get schematics for double barreled shotguns and some others, but not this model nor any single shot. Might call them tomorrow to see if they have a schematic - saw they had one (0.00$) for the champion model, but that was apparently after this model by about 10 years.
  13. EGP

EGP New Member

have this symbol on the barrel - it almost looks like the shadow of an animal (fox?) with a circle and maybe two letters.
    Ed\'s Nokia 1020_20141020_13_55_50_Raw.jpg
  14. EGP

EGP New Member

Hadn't called yet, but finished cleaning and researching (not finished researching yet). YouTube ad some videos and interesting shots (some dumb like shooting from the hip an old IJ), shot pattern pretty tight out about 20 yards or more from the videos. Ebay also had some parts for sale, but still not what I'm looking for.