Iver and Johnson's arms and cycle works hammerless revoler 47166

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pete1948, Aug 12, 2012.

1. pete1948

pete1948 New Member

Hi all, I was wondering if you all could tell me more about this gun. This was my grampas gun who was born sometime in the 1800's

Thanks,
    Pete
  2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum Pete, but more info is needed:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=90427
  3. pete1948

pete1948 New Member

Ok, thank you. I will see if I can get more info.
    Pete.
  4. Lackingknowledge

Lackingknowledge New Member

Ok so I have a .32 hammerless revolver. I would like to know when it was made being that I just found it with my grandfathers stuff. On the top of the barrel it says, Johnson arms and cycle works, Fitchburg, Mass. Pat'd apr 6,86, feb15,87 may 10,87 dec 26,93 pats pending. Can anyone help me out here? Is it first second or third gen and what else do you know about it?
  5. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum, but it would have saved time if you also had read the sticky at top of page that I referred Pete to:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=90427

The patent dates indicate you probably have an antique first model made 1894-1896 but need the serial from under grip to confirm.
  6. Lackingknowledge

That would of helped. I am new to blogging. Didn't know how to start a new one. The s/n under the left side grip is B42652.
  7. Lackingknowledge

It also has a 2" barrel which I haven't found anything smaller than a 3" in my search.
  8. hrf

hrf Active Member

Yep, a first model made in 1896 for black powder .32 S&W ammo.

The two inch barrel version was advertised as the "Cycle Model"
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  9. Lackingknowledge

What would it be worth? Was thinking about bringing it to action. Still dry-fires well. Just has some nice patina.
  10. RJay

RJay Active Member

With out pictures there is no way to give you any accurate value information. There' s growing interest in the Iver Johnson guns because they are affordable, but unless the gun is in like new condition the value would not be high. Very few of the old Iver Johnson guns are in the condition that would demand more than a hundred dollars. , Maybe a hundred and half.