Iver Johnson 0.22 10 Inch

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Walther13, May 22, 2011.

1. Walther13

Walther13 New Member

Hi to all, i have an offer here in Germany for an Iver Johnson Revolver 0.22 lr, 9 chambers and a 10 inch octagon barrel.

Since i am Shooting for sports issues, and like to use extraordinary original weapos insted of "tuned maids" i would like to ask a few questions:

- Is such a gun suitable for sports issues, especially is technically stable and durable ?
    - is it a collectors item - do collectors cry if i use it ?
    - Is this a rare weapon ?

I think that would cover it so far, many thanks in advance... greetings
    Walther
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Hi Walther, The only I.J. model I find that was 9 shots and had a 10 inch octagon barrel is the Model 79, shown below, made from 1929 to 1941. It is an obsolete type that must be loaded and unloaded either by removing the cylinder or via the slot on right side. While it is safe to use if in good condition, the mechanism is not as refined as more modern guns and will probably get out of order sooner.

There are not too many Iver Johnson collectors, but the extra long barrel makes it more interesting. I would consider it uncommon today, but not rare.

Attached Files:

3. Walther13

Walther13 New Member

Dear HRF,

yes, the picture looks pretty much the same as the ones here in the offer.
    I forgot to mention it is a 1900 modell but you figured it out anyway.

The expectaton of a single by single load is bad for what i need.

So most problably i'll back out from buying it, except it stays quite cheap... can you give me an idea hows the worth for a piece in not so got condition ?

Thanks again....Greetings
    Walther
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Walther13,
    Don't misunderstand hrf's posting - it is not a 'single shot' - 'shot by shot loading' - it can be loaded with 9 cartridges and fired 9 times - then the cylinder must be removed for unloading fired casings and reloading with fresh ammo.
    Value in the U.S. in "not so gut" condition would be in the $125 to $150 range. In Germany - it could very well be a rare item and be valued at quite a bit more????
  5. Walther13

Walther13 New Member

Hi Jim, i didn't understand wrong as i said already about a 9 chamber cylinder, but you gave indeed additional info about the need removing of the cylinder for case unloading.

Is this cylinder removal difficult or a nuisance ?
    Sport shooting here (which i have in mind) requires 5- shot series and a few times reloading.

Yea, it could be very rare as i have never ever seen something similar here (while i have only a few years experience), while i as well see only a small market for collectors of such items here... you know about our different laws, do you ? ;-)
    Your price guessing is very interesting for me, thanks.

Thanks again, greetings to USA
    Walther
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Walther, the cylinder removal is simple, you just push in the small lever on front of frame and pull out the cylinder pin.

But then you will have to use the rod to push out each empty case one at a time, and there is also the risk of dropping the cylinder and damaging it during your competition.
  7. Walther13

Walther13 New Member

That pretty much decribes everything, thanks.

Reloading during competition does not occurr under time pressure, so it would be ok. I can make a 5-finger tool as a help.

I think i'll try to get this old maid, if its not too expensive, will always be good for a second look of the others.

And with the long barrel I'll be distinctliy closer to the target (chuckle).

Thanks to all for the quick, detailed and kind responses.
    Last edited: May 24, 2011