Iver Johnson 12 Ga. Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by devin_brady, Sep 14, 2012.

1. devin_brady

devin_brady New Member

I have had a Iver Johnson 12 gauge single shot for about a year now, and have been trying to figure out when it was made, and the value.

On the Side of the stock it says:
    CHAMPION
    Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works, Inc
    Fitchburg, Mass, U.S.A

On top it says:
    12 GA Full Choke, Barrel

I don't see any patent numbers anywhere.

Serial number : 402
    Which is found behind the trigger, on the bottom of the barrel, and also on the wood front stock where it butts into the stock.
  2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF. The late I.J. expert Bill Goforth listed that Champions with all numeric serial numbers were made 1909-1919.

With a number that low, yours is probably 100 plus years old and deserves retirement.

Value depends on condition, but old single barrels in average used and abused shape usually bring less than $100.
  3. devin_brady

devin_brady New Member

We had our attic re insulated and this was found up under the flooring, still in the box never been put together until about a year ago, it has only been fire about 10 times.
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

If the box is an intact factory box with I. J. identification, there may be an I.J. collector who would pay a slight premium for the package.

And if you are going to shoot it, I'd limit shells to light field loads, and have chamber length checked by a gunsmith.
  5. devin_brady

devin_brady New Member

Thank you for the help!