Iver Johnson 2 inch barrels?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wristcut, Dec 25, 2009.

1. wristcut

wristcut New Member

Which Iver johnson Topbreaks had 2 inch barrels? How to tell the difference between a factory barrel and a fake? Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the 2 inch barrel was a standard catalog offering of all safety automatiec revolvers between 1894 and 1942. after 1904 the top of the barrel markings were moved to the left side of the barrel (usually only the company name city and state. before 1904 it is very difficult to tell. usually you can tell by the muzzle crown. but some of the old time gunsmith were very good a recrowning the muzzles after cutting the barrels. i would say to look very closely at the placement of the front sight for the proper distance from the front of the barrel. and centered.

other than the above i don't know what to tell your. on the early models (before 1904) iver johnson simply cut off an exisisting barrel (that was already roll marked) and recrowned it.

i personally do not feel any body made an iver johnson with a two inch barrel to "FAKE" a cycle model. there are a lot of shorten iver johnsons out there. i believe these were done to make them into a true pocket pistol. the small frame 32 were the most popular of all the two inch barrel revolvers.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. wristcut

wristcut New Member

Thanks for the info Bill.