Iver Johnson .22 Lever Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dog Ears, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Dog Ears

Dog Ears New Member

OK, I've got a pal with an Iver Johnson .22 mag lever gun. It was made by Erma. There is no model number that I can find. It has both the Iver Johnson owl stamping and the Erma stamping. The serial # is 0020XX. I'd say it is in NRA "very good" condition (stock has some small dings and scratches, but bluing is near perfect). It's a neat looking little gun. Action is very smooth.

My friend needs some cash and I'm trying to help him find the value of his rifle. Someone told him there were less than 50 of these rifles made and they are worth $$$$$, yada, yada. I tried to bring his expectations down a bit, but the truth is I have NO IDEA of its value. I said I'd help him out since he needs the money and isn't really a gun guy. This is about all the info I can find so far:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?150666-Iver-Johnson-lever-action-22-Mag

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?209018-Iver-Johnson-lever-action

Sorry, I'm too technologically ignorant to post pics.

Any info as to its value would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. Dog Ears

Dog Ears New Member

3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Dog Ears,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Researched your firearm, found a listing in the 31st (2010) Ed. of "THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES" by S. Fjestad. This info was provided by Bill Goforth, expert on IJ firearms:
    I. J. WAGONMASTER LEVER ACTION, marketed 1985-1990, made in and imported from GERMANY (ERMA), 18 1/2" bbl, .22 rimfire or .22 MAG.; Retail values: 100%/NIB $325 down to Fair/60% $150. Also produced as a JUNIOR model with 16 1/4" barrel; values listed are the same as the regular model.
    Depending upon the condition of your friend's item, the RETAIL value will fall somewhere between the values listed above. (NOTE: the RETAIL values listed in the BLUE BOOK are national averages noted for sold guns.)
  4. Dog Ears

Dog Ears New Member

Thanks, Jim. :D That news won't make my pal happy, but at least now he'll have correct information. I might just pay him a bit extra and have it for myself. It seems to be a handy little rifle.

One other question: I couldn't find a model #. I figure this is because either I didn't look hard enough or the rifle just didn't have a model # written on it. Any ideas?
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Dog -
    You're welcome - thanks for thanking.
    The BLUE BOOK is a "pricing guide" - what you work out with your pal - is between your two, but that gives you some idea where to start.
    According to the BOOK - no model number is listed - just the name.