Iver Johnson 22 Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Joe.53559, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Joe.53559

Joe.53559 New Member

I recently acquired an Iver Johnson 7-shot 22 cal
    revolver and wonder if anyone can help me get a value on it. It is a top-break, 6" barrel, with wooden single-piece grip and a raised diamond-shaped brass emblem (with three intersecting lines etched into the diamond) located just behind the cylinder. The emblem appears to be hand-etched (?). 35296 is stamped on base of trigger guard. Other than the 'Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works Fitchburg Mass USA' on top of barrel rib, there are no other markings.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is most likely a third model safety automatic hammer revolver, fitted with the optional "western walnut" grip. the main serial number location is under the grip on the left side of the grip frame. however the early third models fitted with this grip were serialed number in a special serial number series. until about 1921. i am sure these special order numbers never reached 35,000. therefore i am guess the serial number of your revolver is E35926 which was manufactured in 1928, there were only 300 of the small frame 22 rimfire caliber models manufactured that year. to verify this you will need to remover the grips and check the serial number under them.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

i would need to see a picture of the brass emblem before i could comment on it but it does not sound like it is factory.

regardless of caliber (22 or 32) the longer barrel small frame versions fitted with the western walnut grip should bring about 10 to 15 percent more than the values above as they are not often incountered.
    bill
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009