The Firearms Forum banner

Iver Johnson .22 question

465 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Twaits 
#1 ·
I just acquired an Iver Johnson top break .22 that is a 3rd model made in 1911. It's quite a bit out of time. Would a hand replacement fix this issue? Is the hand in the .22 the same as the hand in the .32s?
Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
A replacement hand might fix it. If my memory is any good, I think you can make the .32 hand fit. Sometimes bending or stretching the hand will accomplish the same thing. I would also look at the ratchet to see if it's in good condition or not. But before you do anything else, try this: Insert two empty shells in the cylinder and then check the timing with the shells in the chambers. Sometimes the ratchet/ejector is rather loose and can move around w/o shells in place.

#4 ·
I have a second model 32 parts gun. I will have to look and see if there is any difference.
I think I took a 6 shot large frame 32 cylinder and put it in a large frame 38 and put the 38 in the 32 and they both worked (these were H&Rs). This was a while ago but I remember doing it and being surprised that they both seemed to still index correctly. So maybe a small frame 32 hand would work in the 22

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.