Iver Johnson 22 Supershot 7-shot revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dirkin, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Dirkin

Dirkin New Member

Hello,

I was cleaning out the garage yesterday and found a box full of gun cleaning stuff. I was surprised to find inside this box a pistol. Since google brought up this forum when I was looking for more information and it looks like there are some really helpful people here, I thought I would post.

I have an Iver Johnson 22 Supershot 7 shot revolver pistol. It is a top break model. The engraving on the top of the barrel reads: "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg Mass, USA" The left side of the barrel is engraved with "22 Supershot". The bottom of the trigger guard reads 1832, although the 3 is unclear and may be an 8 (1882). It has a wood grip with a hatched diamond pattern carved in. I can find no other engravings.

My questions are whether this gun is capable of being fired with today's ammo and how I would determine if this gun has any value.

Thanks for the help!
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the 22 supershot was manufactured between 1928 and 1941. it is a very limited production revolver with only 22,650 manufactured. the introduction of the 22 supershot sealed eight model in 1932 limited the appeal of the earlier model that did not have the individual chambers recessed.

the 22 supershot was available in either a 7 shot or 9 shot versions. on the left side of the grip frame under the grips will be another serial number and letter code (usually the same as on the trigger guard) that is the main serial number.

based on the serial number on the trigger guard your 22 supershot serial number 1832 (or 1882) was manufactured in 1928. there were 3,900 of this model manufactured that year. the letter code used for the 22 supershot was "K"

because of its age and the non-recessed chambers it would be best to limit the firing of this revolver to 22 long rifle standard velocity (target loads) only. if this revolver is in good shooting condition you should not encounter any problems with standard velocity loads.

28th edition of the blue book list the 22 supershot at 100%=$200 down to 60%=$100
    bill
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. Dirkin

Dirkin New Member

Great information! Thanks a lot. I didn't imagine I'd get such a quick response.
  4. Torque

Torque New Member

I'm a new member....I see several options to reply but can't seem to figure out how to place a new post! HELP! Torque
  5. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

Torque

I'm new too so I feel your pain.

When you go to the page "the ask the pro's & what's it worth? forum"
    there is a banner of some pictures of guns. Between that and the start of the list of threads is a small button that says New Thread.

You will do fine from there.

OS