Iver Johnson .22 Supershot Sealed Eight

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by oldbear, Jan 1, 2010.

1. oldbear

oldbear New Member

I have inherited an Iver Johnson .22 Supershot Sealed Eight from my father that belonged to my grandfather. I remember first shooting this gun when I was about 10 years old (56 years ago) on my grandfather's farm in western North Carolina. It doesn't seem to be that the gun was anywhere new at that point. I'm curious as to the real age of this piece. The serial number stamped on the pistol guard is I28545, the number under the grip is 28545.

It is in very good, fireable condition (.22LR). I am not interested in selling it. I have already talked to my son about passing it on to him when I leave this earth.

I would appreciate any information that you can provide.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the letter code should be an "L". this revolver was one of the first manufactured after the war in 1947. it is considered a second model.

22 SUPERSHOT SEALED EIGHT FIRST MODEL
    (LARGE FRAME----------------------------------1932-1941
    Features HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION. This revolver also features a cylinder with recessed chambers that fully enclose the cartridge case head. Large frame top break marked on left side of barrel “22 SUPERSHOT SEALED EIGHT”. Finish: blue only; Barrel length 6 inches: Oversize checkered wood grips; Caliber .22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight 24 ounces. Height with out grips 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 5 inches; Overall length 10 ¾ inches. The 1938 catalog gives this model as well as others Model numbers: Model 88 fixed sights, Model 833 adjustable rear sight, Model 834 adjustable rear sight and adjustable finger rest. . Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. First Models will have serial numbers below L26601
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$150

22 SUPERSHOT SEALED EIGHT SECOND MODEL
    (LARGE FRAME)--------------------------------1947-1954
    Featured the HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION and the recessed cylinder of the first model. The 22 SUPERSHOT SEALED EIGHT was brought back after WW II almost intact. The grip frame was altered to give it more weight. The model numbers were not changed. The barrel shape was changed and a new 4 ½ length added late in its production life. The new barrel shape added even more weight. Caliber: 22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: 28 ounces; Frame height with out grips 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 5 inches; overall length 10 ¾ inches. The specifications that changed after the new barrel length and shape are; Weight 6 inch barrel 28 ¾ ounces 4½ inch barrel 26 ¾ ounces; Overall length 4½ inch barrel 9 ¼ inches. The new barrel shape is the same as used on the later Third Model. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. Second Models will have serial numbers above L26600
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$150

22 SUPERSHOT THIRD MODEL
    (AKA MODEL 844)-------------------------1955-1957
    Features the HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION. Known as the Model 844 the third model 22 Supershot is the last of a line of top break revolvers that can trace it ancestry to 1894 when the Safety Automatic revolver First Model was introduced. The only difference that can be seen between the third model and late production second models is the cylinder, which is unfluted on the third model. Only offered with a blue finish and large oversized checkered wood grips. The barrel is flat sided round, round on the bottom with a full length rib. Caliber 22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Cylinder has recessed chambers and flash control front rim; Barrel length: 4 ½ inches and 6 inches; Sights are fully adjustable; Weight: with 4 ½ inch barrel 24 ounces with 6 inch barrel 27 ounces; Frame height 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 5 inches; overall length: with 4 ½ inch barrel 9 ¼ inches, with 6 inch barrel 10 ¾ inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. This model will be marked MODEL 844.
    VALUE: 100%=$300 60%=$175

bill
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  3. oldbear

oldbear New Member

b.goforth -

Thank you very much for the information. You are correct - the letter is an L with the lower bar slightly worn off. I have included a picture.

Attached Files:

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

can you post a picture of the rear sight/barrel top latch area. it look like it might have a different rear sight than normal.
    bill
  5. oldbear

oldbear New Member

I'm not sure whether or not either of these shots will give you the detail that you're looking for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

is the rear sight glued on or doved tailed to the top strap. it is different and not factory.
    bill
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. oldbear

oldbear New Member

To the best of my knowledge, the pistol has never been modified or repaired. I have posted another picture.

Attached Files:

8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

from the first set of pictures you can tell where the original rear sight was milled off of the top latch. this addition was done by some one with good machinist skills. to the best of my knowledge this rear sight is not factory. the factory offered an adjustable rear sight for this model and if returned to factory for a new rear sight this is what would hve been furnsihed.
    bill
  9. oldbear

oldbear New Member

Thanks for the additional information. If the sight was changed, it was obviously well done.
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i agree it is well done.
    bill
  11. Wheeling

Wheeling New Member

Recently while strolling through a Gun Show sea of tables covered with AR15 variants, 9mm autos and "tactical" shotguns, I discovered an Iver Johnson .22 Supershot Sealed Eight. Some of the blued finish is worn, there are nicks, scratches, and a dirty bore but otherwise sound condition. Indexes fine and nice tight lockup. I purchased the "find" and have cleaned it up and walnut grip has great graining - I am most pleased!

Serial # is L125XX under the left grip and 125XX on the underside of the trigger guard. From previous posts I have narrowed it to pre-WWII and believe it to be from somewhere between 1937 to 1939? Am I close?
  12. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Sweet gun OldBear, better yet, great story!!! I hope when I am dead and gone some of my grandkids are able to pass on some of my 22 rifles (caliber, have a lot more than 22 of them!!!) to their kids and grandkids and remember shooting on my farm behind the pond at the gun range. Things to live for.
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

wheeling,
    1934 production
    L 9001 thru L12900
    total for year= 3,900

bill
  14. dbperry

dbperry New Member

I have a newly acquired IJ .22 Supershot Sealed Eight; what is your overall opinion of this vintage gun? My serial # is L11373.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, oldbear,

That sight looks very much like the rear sight for a .45 caliber M1911 or M1911A1 pistol. I agree with Bill Goforth that Iver Johnson never put it on there.

Jim