iver johnson 22 supershot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Randy B, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Randy B

Randy B New Member

I have an Iver Johnson supershot 22 cal. nine shot top break revolver. The serial # is 11819K.
    I was wondering if anybody out there would know about how old it is,and if it would be safe to fire it with modern ammunition.This was handed down by my father,and it hasn't been fired for at least forty years.It is in remarkably good shape,with the exception of three missing pieces.I had a gunsmith look at it and was told the firing pin-firing pin spring-and the firing pin retainer are missing.Any information on this pistol and any help on locating the missing parts would be appreciated.
    Thanks Randy
  2. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Randy,
    Welcome to TFF. It looks like your Supershot was manufactured in 1931. Are you sure the serial number isn't preceded by the "K"? If a competent gunsmith deems this gun to be in good firing shape, then this revolver should handle modern ammo, but I wouldn't recommend firing any high velocity rounds in it.
    I may have the parts you need. I'll have to look.
    Old Gun Guy
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the firing pin are the hardest to find for this model and may have to be made.

as stated serial number K 11819 was made iin 1931, there were 4,900 made that year.

22 SUPERSHOT AUTOMATIC (LARGE FRAME)-------------------1928-1941
    Features HAMMER the HAMMER ACTION, MODEL 70 (chambered for 7 rounds), MODEL 90 (chambered for 9 rounds); Built on the Safety Automatic Hammer Third Model large frame. Blue finish, 6 inch barrel length, one piece checkered wood grips; .22 rimfire caliber; most specifications same as Safety Automatic Hammer revolver large frame; Weight 24 ounces; Overall length 10 ¾ inches. Barrel marked on left side “22 SUPERSHOT”. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$125

there were two models of the 22 supershot. the 'supershot sealed eight' was introduced in 1932 and remain in production thru three models until 1954.
    bill