Iver Johnson .32 .....364? Help!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Russ H., Jun 24, 2011.

1. Russ H.

Russ H. New Member

About ten years ago I came across an Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle works .32 while doing a land survey in Virginia. I'm pretty sure no one had been on this land in quite some time. I was trying to find a property corner and found it on the ground in some pretty heavy brush. I took it home and called a friend of mine who was a Trooper and asked him to run a check on it. They didn't have anything on it at the time. It was pretty well rusted up and I could tell it had been there for some time. Long story short, wife put it in storage and I had forgotten about it until recently. The only number on it is the number 364 on the bottom of the trigger guard and inside the grip. It's a center fire, does not line up with barrel when dry fired. trigger has to be pushed forward to fire again. I've attached a couple of pics and I'm hoping someone can tell me what year it was made. Would also like to find someone that could restore it to it's original condition. Please email me, I will not be back on line till Saturday am. It's now Friday june 24

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

(email sent)

Well, it's a 3rd model small frame hammerless made between 1909 and 1941, but unfortunately the small serial number with no letter prefix indicates a special order, for which records are not available. What the special order may have been is not obvious, as it appears to have a standard 3" barrel and standard hard rubber grips.

The date can be narrowed slightly if you can read the patent date on bottom of butt: Aug.25.96 = made 1909-1912. Nov.17.08 = made 1913-1941.

Definitions of "restoration" vary, but in my opinion it should be left as is, as a "mystery" relic. The phillips head screw might be replaceable, but threads are likely stripped.

Edit: In 1920s and later, blued finish cost an extra fifty cents, and that may have been the special order, as I think there are faint traces of blue and none of nickel.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. Russ H.

Russ H. New Member

Thank you, yes there are faint traces of blue. I was able to make out the date using a jewelers loupe and it's in the 1913-41 range. Yes, I think I will leave it as is.