Iver Johnson 32 Cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kansascityjeff, Aug 7, 2013.

1. kansascityjeff

kansascityjeff New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I have a 32 cal Iver Johnson that i inherited from my wifes grandfather. I know there not worth much but I am interested in any info regarding the gun. Like year it was made, what generation it is ect.

Looks to be a hammerless ,double post top breach, saftey mechinsim built into the trigger. Serial number under the grip D 79926....im assuming patent numbers what i could read anyway april 6 86 feb 15 87 March 13-88 - August 25 **

From what ive read it looks like 2nd generation black powder cartrige revolver. If thats correct is that kind of ammo even obtainable?

2. desi23

desi23 Member

Feb 7, 2011
    ohio
    Bill Goforth's book on IJ lists large frame 38 hammerless revolvers with a D prefix in the second series. These would have the trigger safety and a D79926 would fall into either 1899 or 1902 depending on a change in the frame. The earlier version has the hammer shroud as a separate piece, the later has the frame solid up to the top. Are you sure the revolver is a 32? Bill doesn't list a D prefix on the 32, only on the 38's.

3. kansascityjeff

Aug 7, 2013
    I am by no means a expert, I probably dont even rank as a novice but the bore looks too small to be a 38. But if your saying the serial number corresponds with a 38 i guess it has to be. It does look like one solid piece all the way up. so probably a later version of the second series. Second series is still black powder though right ?

4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Here at TFF
  5. kansascityjeff

Aug 7, 2013
    My appologies Shooter. I thought i described the item pretty well. My question originally was not about the caliber.

One of the photos I put a ball point pen in the end of the barrel to give you a idea how big the bore is. It moves up and down freely but not a lot of room to spare.

Attached Files: