iver johnson .32 cal...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jules, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jules

jules New Member

i have an iver johnson .32 cal 2 7/8" brrl (i measured with ruler from chamber) with hammer 5 shot grips with owls both sides serial 60768(no letter visible) dated nov 17, 0(no other numbrs for date) flip top for chamber center latch blued finish barrel is fluted inside (not spiraled) steel half circle end barrel site hammer end sight is part of chamber latch...anyone have an idea when this might have been made?? and though not important to me it's value??? fair/good condition ...used...thanx:cool:
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is interesting to find someone so reluctant to use punctuation marks.

The absence of a letter prefix on the serial number would indicate a manufacturing date of 1894-1896, but that does not jibe with the Nov. 17, '08 patent date (for a retracting firing pin). So there is something else involved.

Some more information or a picture would help, but in general those IJ revolvers have little collector value unless in near perfect condition, which few are. Many are not functional, as broken springs and other parts are common, and most are in poor condition with peeling nickel and/or rust. Value on average runs around $60-100, but there are few sales. Most dealers won't take them on trade because they can't sell them.

Jim
  3. jules

jules New Member

the heretofore mentioned revolver only has 0(as in zero) for mfg date...thanx for ur quick reply...any other info on that dating is greatly appreciated
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the main serial number location on most iver johnson revolver (especially early top breaks) is on the left side of the grip frame. remove the grips and tell us what is located there. the one patent date may incicate a third model small frame safety automaitc revolver. with out knowing the letter code that prefix to the serial number that is all i can tell your for now.

bill
  5. jules

jules New Member

i have removed the grips from previously mentioned pistol (it has wooden grips) and the serial number is g61758...i hope this will be of some help. thanx
  6. jules

jules New Member

:(
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jules,
    third model small frame 32 Caliber safety automatic hammer revolver serial number G61758 was manufactured in 1921, there were 11,100 of this model manufactured that year.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

bill
  8. jules

jules New Member

thank you so much for your patience and help...my uncle gave methis gunabout 23 years ago, and since i've thought about checking into it buthave finallygotten around to it..sincerely jules