iver johnson 32 info please

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by z7master167, Jul 22, 2012.

1. z7master167

z7master167 New Member

I just recently traded for 2 iver johnson 32's one is hammerless and the other has a hammer the one with the hammer has 5911c on the butt of the gun and no other serial numbers that i can find anywhere and the hammerless the serial # starts with a b if someone could tell me more about them or there value i would be greatly appreciative

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Your hammer gun appears to be an antique first model made 1895, but something's amiss with the serial you list as letter suffixes were not used (maybe a poorly stamped 0?)

The hammerless gun is a second model made 1897-1902 (complete serial no. is needed to identify specific year)

They appear to be in above average original condition but are not high dollar collector guns, maybe $150-$250 range.

The hammer model is an antique and can be mailed without an FFL or C&R license to most states, which will usually get more bids if sold online. The hammerless model would also be an antique if made 1897-98.
  3. z7master167

z7master167 New Member

So your saying that price for the 2 of them or apiece? B52375 is the serial # on the hammerless one and that was found underneath the left grip there is nothing under the grip on the one with the hammer maybe it is a badly printed 0 they both are in excellent condition from everything ive read about them im assuming i cant just use regular factory ammo to shoot them
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have seen a lot of these guns. I own a hamerless 38 S&W made in 1922. It was my wifes grandfathers issue gun from the City OF Chicago in 1922.

I thought mine was in good shape but yours look even better. Nice guns. Never the less they are not worth a lot. hrf is right on there value. That would be each. How do you like the trigger pull. They have the worst trigger pull of any gun I have ever shot.

I forgot to add if they have the year on these right they are black powder only. Do not shot modern smokeless ammo in these....
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. z7master167

z7master167 New Member

I was hopin for a little more $ but oh well great looking pistols i have 250 in both of them.. i traded a remington model 700 270 for them and i had 250 in that gun
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Price for each. The hammerless model was made in 1901, so not an antique. The hammer model was made in 1895. Both are black powder guns that should not be fired with modern ammo.
  7. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Current .32 S&W is loaded as to the same pressure as the black powder cartridges, the big difference is the smokeless charge has a sharper pressure curve. Use of modern cartridges will not blow up the gun, but it will very quickly " shoot loose " and get out of time among other ills. That is one reason the old Pre 1909 guns floating around are in such bad shape.People just kept on shooting them regardless of what ever cartridge was available.
  8. z7master167

z7master167 New Member

Ok so now the big question is where in the world can i get some ammo to shoot thes things? The guy i got these off of said the person he got them from had them locked up in a safe for a long time. I really though the guns would be worth more being as old and as good of shape they are in.
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Ten-X has reduced power "Cowboy Action" .32 S&W ammo at about $40 per box of 50: http://www.tenxammo.com/
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member