Iver Johnson .32 long

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by focusmaniaczx3, Nov 16, 2009.

1. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

i just laid my hands on an Iver Johnson .32 cal Long yesterday. i couldnt pass it up as i dont have any revolvers that i actively use and this was my reason for purchasing it. to shoot the gun. however the thought occurred to me that it may not be a good idea to use the gun much if at all because it is quite old and still in very good condition compared to my father's .32 shorts.

Information on the gun:
    there are only 3 places where the gun has any identifying marks.
    1. on top of the barrel it says "*Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works*"
    "*Fitchburg, Mass U. S. A.*"

2. on the bottom of the trigger guard is the serial number. the first letter is worn down and is impossible to read. it says "73829"
    3. if you remove the wooden handle the serial number is shown again. the first letter could be H or A i am not sure. it says H or A 73829

it is a double action 6 shooter revolver. it takes .32 longs and has a removable wooden handle with a single screw in the bottom of the handle.

any additional information about this gun would be greatly appreciated. i have several pictures to go with it as well if you would like to see them. but for now ill just post the one so you can see the gun as a whole. let me know if you need any more detailed pictures. thanks guys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

Wow, I think it's a great looking gun. I always wanted a usable top end loader. I love 32s too.
  3. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

after i got the gun i drove around for over half the day just looking for any ammo for it. all i could find for the most part was .32 short, and auto. i suppose i could shoot shorts out of it but it just seems to me like that could damage the cylinder so im going to just stay away from those. i finally found a place with some longs and i bought the only 2 boxes they had. i fired the gun a few times today and am sad to say its not as accurate as i would like but it will make a nice addition to my collection nonetheless.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a third model safety automatic hammer revolver with the optional "'western walnut grips". serial number H 73829 was manufactured in 1926, when only 3,900 were made of this model (large frame hammer both 38 and 32 caliber). i have heard mixed reports about the accruacy of this models. some say they shoot to point of aim other say they don't. i have never fired mine so i can't say.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

bill
  5. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

thanks so much for that information! i looked around for hours last night trying to find anything on the gun and the most i could find was that it was manufactured sometime in the early 1900's. i dont understand how the percentage plays into what the gun is worth. i assume 100% means its extremely well kept and has rarely been fired and 0% is falling apart and you wouldnt trust that gun to fire a blank without blowing to pieces.

anyway, what would you estimate my "percentage" at as far as the quality of mine? and do you think the gun should ever be used again or should it be kept as a collectible and nothing more?
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Mechanical condition of course plays a part in the valuation, But when the term 100 percent is used they are referring to the original finish, be it blue, nickle or what ever. It will not hurt your revolver to fire 32 short in it, no more than it hurts to fire 22 short in a 22LR chamber. In all of my years shooting I have never seen any damage ( using smokeless non corrosive ammo ) to a cylinder or chamber. You may have to clean the cylinders before using .32 Long in it, other wise I can see no difficulties. I believe the notion that using shorter ammo will hurt the gun is a inter-net myth based on using corrosive ammo ( years ago ) .