Iver Johnson .32 Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Topbreak01, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Topbreak01

Topbreak01 New Member

I just acquired this Iver Johnson .32 S&W revolver.I looked under the left grip for the letter code and serial number and the letter code is either a C or O with the serial number 88575.On the bottom of the butt strap it has
    PAT. NOV. 17,08 on top of PAT'S PENDING.This gun was well taken care of and only has some minor flaking of the nickel plating and the bore is bright and shiny as well as the cylinders.I believe this is a 3rd model but would like to know for sure.Thanks in advance for any info it is appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a third model large frame safety automatic hammer revolver, the caliber is the scarce (for this model) 32 S&W Long. serial number C88575 was manufactured in 1916, it is suitable for smokeless powder loads. there were 7,700 of this model manufctured that year. the exact number manufactured in 32 S&W Long caliber is unknown. judging from the number that have shown up i would say about 1 in 50 were 32 S&W long caliber. no factory records exist that give this information. the 32 S&W Long caliber of the third models should bring about a 10% premium over the 38 S&W caliber, but in actual sales caliber doesn't seem to matter in this model as they are valued more for their ability to to used instead of thier collectibility. value of this revolver should be in the $175 plus range.
    bill
  3. Topbreak01

Topbreak01 New Member

Thanks for the info Bill it is Much Appreciated:)Just so i understand clearly this revolver is chambered for .32 S&W Long?
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if it is as it appears to be in the pictures a 6 shot the caliber is 32 S&W Long.
    bill
  5. Topbreak01

Topbreak01 New Member

Yep it is a 6 shot and Thanks for all the info and help Bill:)
  6. JLips

JLips New Member

Bill, I've been reading a number of your posts. Gret information. Thanks for that. I've got an Iver Johnson that fits 32 auto rounds. The serial number on the trigger guard is 11-- and under the grip there is an I prefix. It is hammerless and nickel finish. Im wondering about the year manufactured and also if it is safe to use auto ammo in it, as it looks like the 32 S&W is not available.
    Thanks

Also, wondering where to buy your book??
    John
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

do not shoot 32 acp in any top break revolver. it generates too much pressure.

the 32 S&W is still loaded you just have to look for it.

third model small frame hammerless serial number I 11 was made in 1919, 6,100 made that year.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)-------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 14 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125

the book is available from www.ginshowbooks.com
    bill