Iver Johnson 32 starter/blank

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dockgsp, Mar 18, 2010.

1. dockgsp

dockgsp New Member

I have an Iver Johnson 32 cal starter pistol. I believe it is designated a 56A Starter. Serial # S10803. Would anyone know the date of manufactor?

I am also looking for a set of grips. They look like the same grips used on the Cadet series of Iver pistols, 22,32, and 38 S&W. Anyone know where I might be able to get a set of grips?

Thank you in advance
  2. dockgsp

dockgsp New Member

To brag a little, to lose well, to crow gently if in luck, to pay up, to own up, and to shut up if beaten, are the virtues of a sporting man.

Oliver Wendell Homes
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the grips are the same as those used on the model 55S and 55SA Cadet. these grips show up on the on-line auction sites and e-bay form time to time.

I.J. MODEL 56 STARTER REVOLVER----------------------------1956-1960
    Large solid frame, pull pin cylinder release built on the older model Target Sealed 8 frame. Cylinder is one half length with 8 rounds capacity: Caliber 22 rimfire Blank; Barrel length 2 ½ inches, barrel is solid no bore; Finish is Blue; Grips are hard rubber (as used on the Older I.J. Model 1900) or wood pocket size; Weight 10 ounces Frame height 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length 6 ¾ inches. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    I.J. STARTER MODEL 56A-------------------------------------1961-1978
    The difference between this A series and the earlier series is the addition of a loading gate to the right side of the frame. All specifications are the same except a small weight gain because of the loading gate. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$100 60%=$50

there are no know serial number records of the starter revolver so i can't give you an exact date of manufacture just the era of their manufacture 1961-1978. most likely between 1961 and 1974
    bill
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. dockgsp

dockgsp New Member

Thanks a bunch.

I have the one with the side gate for loading, but it is a 5 round cylinder,
    for 32 blanks.
    It does have a hammer.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

most of these were made in 22 blank caliber but the 32 blank caliber was also offered as a standard cataolg item.
    bill
  6. dockgsp

dockgsp New Member

Thanks and a big tip of the hat:):):D
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Does that pistol function in single and double action? Just got one and only fires in double.
  8. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It should fire in both Single and double.
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

The literature on these starter pistols (from Bill Goforth) indicates all models to be of double action but makes no mention of any featuring single action capability. Given the fact that Bill was generally quite thorough in this areas, it is unlikely he would have failed to include this key feature in his descriptions.
    With that in mind, as well as yours only operating in double, it's probably safe to assume it never had the single action.
  10. Sprint

Sprint Member

The I.J. starter revolvers were manufactured to fire both single and double action as 45Auto says.

If it will not stay cocked on single action, there is something wrong with the sear to hammer relationship.

Sprint
  11. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I have to agree, I see schematics showing the Starters built with the same sear and hammer as it's non Starter counterparts. Never assume!