Iver Johnson .32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by boathouse, Jan 31, 2007.

1. boathouse

boathouse New Member

Hello all.

I have been reading up on what I can find about a pistol that I received from my Grandfather. So I thought I would ask here to see what else I can learn. It's a Iver Johnson .32 S&W pistol. SS# A4####. The A looks like a upside down V but I am pretty sure it's an A. I have uploaded some photo's so you can look for yourself. As a picture can do a better job of describing things than I can.
    Iver Johnson Photo's/

Not sure weather it chamberd for black powder or not. My grandfather had some original cartrages (not sure if they are black powder or not) and some modern ones as well. Don't know if he was luckey he never used the modern ones or not.

Thanks
    Jim A
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jim,
    i could not bring anything up using your link. pictures would certianly help but to properly identify your revolver. i will need the following; exact markings on top of barrel, any markings on left side of barrel and the buttom of the butt. where is the serial number with letter code found. the A letter code was used on all three models of the small frame 32 caliber safety automatic hammer revolver.

the best way to tell a somkeless powder model from a black powder model is the type of hammer spring used. a single flat leaf was used on first model 1894-1896 and second model 1896-1908 both of these are black bowder only. the trird model 1909-1941 uses a coil hammer spring and is the only one safe with smokeless powder.

difference between the first and second model is the barrel top latch. first model has a single top post with release lever on the left side of the barrel top strap and second model had a double top post.
    bill
  3. boathouse

boathouse New Member

Just checked the link and it seem's to work.
    http://tc.jimsboathouse.com/IverJohnson/
    You can try it directly.

I will try and post some of the photo's directly here. I will have to shrink some so they are not too large. The A letter code was under the handle on the left side, with just the number under the finger guard.
  4. boathouse

boathouse New Member

Here are some of the photo's, I have cropped as best as I could to preserve the quality. I can send you full images if needed.

Attached Files:

5. boathouse

boathouse New Member

Here are some more of the photo's, I have cropped as best as I could to preserve the quality. I can send you full images if needed.

Attached Files:

6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

thanks, these are enough. this is a third model (1909-1941). serial number A44085 was manufactured in 1911. there were 36,500 of this model manufactured this year. if in shootable condition you should not have any problems with modern ammo.
  7. boathouse

boathouse New Member

Thanks Bill. Where is the best place to order a copy of your book?

Any Idea's how or if it's possible to refinish the gun. Chrome or blue? I would think that I would need to disassemble it and get it blasted then refinish the parts and reassemble.
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

nickel would be the appropriate finish. i for one would not do so, it will not raise the value of the gun as it would then have zero original finish and would cost about what the gun is worth.

my book can be ordered from www.gunshowbooks.com or by telephone 800-589-6261
    thanks for the interest
    bill
  9. audiimportech

audiimportech New Member

I was wondering if you know of a list of serial numbers for this gone. I have the same gun pictured but serial number 64777
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

there are serial number listing for most iver johnson's arms & cycle works revolvers in my iver johnson book available from the link posted above.
    bill