Iver Johnson .32

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Paulwb, May 17, 2008.

1. bohika

bohika New Member

thanks for the quick response Ill do some more research before my next " antique " purchase.
  2. casperdln

casperdln New Member

New to the forum. I have an Ivers Johnson pistol from my wife's father. It appears to be chrome plated and in nice shape. It is a 5 shot with a 4 inch barrel. The serial # is H33364. It has the four pins under the cylinder. I am not sure of the caliber. A 32 is way too small but a 38 seems too long. Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
  3. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

You apparently have a large frame third model made in 1921.

If you are trying a .38 Special round, that is NOT the right cartridge: It's chambered for the old .38 S&W round which is shorter and slightly larger diameter, now semi-obsolete but still available some stores or mail order.
  4. casperdln

casperdln New Member

Thank you very much. I will try to find the correct rounds for it. The gun is in very ice condition.
  5. Windsor311

Windsor311 New Member

Need a little help with new(old) revolver

Hello,

Just purchased an Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works 5-shot in .38 short. It is a top-break with the release being a small lever on left side that you push up to open the top-break. It's blued with black plastic grips and has the serial number 2115x exposed on the bottom of grip frame. It has four dates on top of barrel. Apr 6, 86 Feb 15, 87 May 10, 87 Dec 26, 98

I'm looking for any info such as model & year of manufacture please.

Thanks,
    Greg
  6. hrf

hrf Active Member

Re: Need a little help with new(old) revolver

Welcome to TFF.

The left side release identifies the antique first model with single post top latch made in 1894. This style latch was found too weak even for the black powder ammo then made, and they changed to the more commonly seen double post latch the following year. (The last patent date is '93, not '98)

Value depends on original condition, but usually less than $100.

It should not be fired.
  7. Windsor311

Windsor311 New Member

Re: Need a little help with new(old) revolver

Hrf, thank you very much for the reply. So this weapon i have was manufactured in 1894?
    Very interesting.