1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver Johnson 38 5 shot

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gatsbee, Aug 16, 2009.

1. gatsbee

gatsbee New Member

I am a novice gun buyer and just bought an Iver Johnson 38 5 shot revolver at a gun show. It was made in Fitchburg and seems to be nickel except for the trigger guard which is blue and it has mother of pearl grips and a leaf spring trigger. It seems to be in generally good condition

I'd be curious to know how old it is. The serial number from under the grip is T13558.

From some of the other posts I've read it seems that I will not be able to use this weapon with modern ammo which is disappointing since I was hoping to do a little target shooting and then put it away for personal protection (god forbid I ever need it) Is there no way to purchase special ammo?

I paid $150.00 for it. Was I taken?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a late second model serial number T13558 was manufactured in 1907

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%
    mother of pearl grips were an option on the second model. if the grips have the serial number written on them then the chances are about 99% they are factory fitted.
    bill
  3. gatsbee

gatsbee New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm considering selling this now to get some money for a gun that can actually be fired unless you think it has collectible value over time.

Bruce