Iver Johnson .38 break top

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Stafero, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Stafero

Stafero New Member

Serial No. is 2954*, barrel is 3 1/4" long, five shot, patent date says Sept. 04.
    Obviously in pretty poor shape. Need hinge pin/screw, value? Safe to fire with mild round?

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a third model safety automatic hammerless revolver all third models were designed for modern smokeless powder pressures. in order to give an exact manufacture date i will neen to know the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame along with any letter code prefix. the serial number on the bottom of the trigger guard is a secondary location as trigger guards are interchangable this location is not reliable.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)-------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 14 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125
    pictures indicates this one is most likel less than 60% and value is probably $75 or less
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That old Iver looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. But then again, most of the Ivers were working guns for the every day man. They were made to be carried in the back pocket of an under paid night watch man.
  4. Romaxx

Romaxx New Member

5. jcall883

jcall883 New Member

I just acquired a Iver Johnson revolver. It has IVER JOHNSON ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS*
    FITCHBURG MASS USA on top of barrel. It has a coil hammer spring, on bottom of butt it say's PAT NOV.17 **** PAT'S PEND***. On bottom of trigger guard, it has number 14224. Under left side cover it reads as follows..I 14224. Wanting to know alittle about it. Can I fire with modern ammo? Value? Age is pry my biggest interest. Thanks.
    ITS ALSO A TOP BREAK ACTION REVOLVER WITH THE BAR LOOKING LOCK ON TOP ALSO INCORPORATED WITH THE SIGHT.
    THE OWL LOOKS RIGHT AT YOU.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum jcall883.

In the future, please start a new thread, as the title of this one concerns a .38, but serial number I 14224 should be a small frame .32 S&W caliber hammerless model, made in 1921. It should be OK with modern ammo, but it's always a good idea to have an old gun checked by a gunsmith before firing.