Iver Johnson .38 Hammerless Safety Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Torque, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Torque

Torque New Member

Specs: Iver Johnson .38 (mic'd) Safety (trigger) Revolver
    5 shot, nickel plated
    double top post barrel latch
    barrel lgth - 3 & 3/16ths inches (mea), 3 & 1/4 ?
    plastic (hard rubber) grips with owl head top each side
    Trigger guard serial No. - 23723
    under grip, inside frame serial No. - R3356
    under grip, outside frame serial No. - R23723

Powder or conventional .38 ammo?
    Can it or should it be shot?

Any info on this revolver would be appreciated.

Also, nickel plating is in fair to good condition. Barrel & shell chamber cleans up quite well.

What is the approx. value of this revolver?

Thanks for your help...'Torque'
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum, pictures would help
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the R letter code was used on the second model safety automatic hammerless 38 S&W caliber between 1906 and 1908. serial number
    R 27327 was manufactured in 1906. suitable only for black powder cartridge pressures.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

i also would like to see pictures especially with the grips removed showing the two serial numbers.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. Torque

Torque New Member

I have the pictures on my computer but trying to figure out how to get them to you....Hang in there...I may have to call on outside resources!!!...Torque
  5. Torque

Torque New Member

Bill...Beth...My outside resource arrived for xmas...below are the links to 2 pictures of the gun in above discussion. Let me know what you think. Two serial nos.???...Tks..Torque Happy Holidays......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

only once before have i seen a second model safety automatic revolver with two different serial numbers. don't have an explaination for it but it is interesting.
    bill