Iver Johnson .38 Old Model Safety Hammer

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ccoffey3131, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ccoffey3131

ccoffey3131 New Member

I have a IJ old model serial number T14228, .38cal 5 shot. Can any one date it for me? Can you recommend some one to work on it? I would like to get it in working order. It is missing the hammer spring.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

serial number T14228 was manufactured in 1907. most often these revolver that are in need of repairs will cost most ot fix than they are worth. i know of no gunsmith who specialized in top break revolvers. check locally if any in your area have knowledge of top break revolvers.
    bill