Iver Johnson .38 question for GoForth (or anyone)

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by FargoMarc, Dec 3, 2009.

1. FargoMarc

FargoMarc New Member

I recently inherited an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless top-break .38 revolver, 3rd model, 3 inch barrel, 5-shot cylinder. It's marked in the following manner : Top of the barrel has the company name and address, bottom of the top strap serial number 35301, bottom of trigger guard serial number 35301, bottom of the butt has the patent date, left side of grip strap under the grip is stamped "R 35301"
    I'm just wondering what the approximate date of manufacture is. Thanks in advance. :)
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson used the R letter code in 1906 thru 1908 on the second model safety automatic hammerless model. serial number R35301 was manufactured in either late 1906 or early 1907 (not sure of the cut off of number between these three years).

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------- -–1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish with blue optional, two frame sizes and three calibers. Hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17 ¾ ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall all length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$285 60%=$150
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

bill
  3. FargoMarc

FargoMarc New Member

Thank you! I was wrong, it is indeed a 2nd Model. Have a great weekend!