Iver & Johnson 38 revolver question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by george r myers, Apr 22, 2011.

1. george r myers

george r myers New Member

Just bought an Iver & Johnson 38 cal., 5 shot revolver; serial #8746; pat. Nov. 17, 1908. The owl is looking at me. How old is this gun and is it a smokeless powder gun? What caliber shells should I use?
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

You apparently have a 3rd model large frame hammerless, made 1910, but to confirm, remove the grips and see if the serial number is repeated on left grip frame with a letter prefix. Caliber is 38 S&W (not the same as .38 Special)
  3. george r myers

thaks for info. but my iver&johson serial number h8746 is not hammerless the pat. date
    nov. 17 1908 i think is a smokless i think it is around 1921 i just thought someone could
    comfirm this .
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bad guess, I should have waited to get the letter code: It's a large frame hammer 3rd model, made early 1918 smokeless.
  5. george r myers

Thanks, this confirms what I was thinking. Helps when I buy the correct ammo to avoid catastrophe.
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

A word to the wise. To avoid catastrophe you'd be better served to give attention to the guns integrity as a shooter. A great many of these are worn to the point that they are unsafely out of time. Chances are if you paid less than a hundred for the gun it probably has issues.