1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Iver & Johnson 38 revolver question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by george r myers, Apr 22, 2011.

1. george r myers

george r myers New Member

Just bought an Iver & Johnson 38 cal., 5 shot revolver; serial #8746; pat. Nov. 17, 1908. The owl is looking at me. How old is this gun and is it a smokeless powder gun? What caliber shells should I use?
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

You apparently have a 3rd model large frame hammerless, made 1910, but to confirm, remove the grips and see if the serial number is repeated on left grip frame with a letter prefix. Caliber is 38 S&W (not the same as .38 Special)
  3. george r myers

thaks for info. but my iver&johson serial number h8746 is not hammerless the pat. date
    nov. 17 1908 i think is a smokless i think it is around 1921 i just thought someone could
    comfirm this .
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bad guess, I should have waited to get the letter code: It's a large frame hammer 3rd model, made early 1918 smokeless.
  5. george r myers

Thanks, this confirms what I was thinking. Helps when I buy the correct ammo to avoid catastrophe.
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

A word to the wise. To avoid catastrophe you'd be better served to give attention to the guns integrity as a shooter. A great many of these are worn to the point that they are unsafely out of time. Chances are if you paid less than a hundred for the gun it probably has issues.