Iver Johnson .38 Special

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by IJinquisitive, Jun 17, 2012.

1. IJinquisitive

IJinquisitive New Member

I just acquired a IJ .38 Special Blue with the IJ plastic grips. The gun is in fair shape; has some rough spots on the blue, I dismantled it and cleaned it and with the exception of a super hard trigger pull, it seems to dry fire nicely.

I have been following the IJ threads and was curious as to how old this gun really is. Haven't been able to determine that from the threads...

No patent marks...Iver Johnson Fitchburg Mass on the left and the serial number J10148 on the right. Has the load gate and adj. rear sites. To my eye, nothing seems to be wrong with it but I haven't shot it yet.

Can anyone offer me any specific information on this gun...it seems like the consensus is its a 55sa...

But did the Bulldog come in blue, only seen pics in Nickel.

Jorge.:confused:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The .38 Special was introduced in the 55 SA 2nd variation in 1974-1978/79. ihe J prefix was used to denote the .38 Special chambering. All of the Iver Johnson made revolvers came in either blue or nickle,TTBOMK.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012