Iver Johnson 38

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by carl tilley, Aug 24, 2009.

1. carl tilley

carl tilley New Member

Hello every one I.m new to the foum. I have a Iver Johnson 38 cal that the shop picked up for sale. the clint that wonted it found this foum and told me about it, I'm the smith for the shop, the revolver has on top of the barrel iver johnson's arms & cycle works, the finsh is nickel, the barrel is 3 1/4 long, 5 shot cylinder.Owel's head on grips looks at the but the hammer spring is coil the ser # C96803 the ser# was under the left hand guard. the pat date on but was nov17,08 is this the heavy 3rd model that you can shoot safely with morden ammo think you for all the info that you can give me carl
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes this is the third model. large frame safety automatic hammer revolver serial number C96803 was manufactured in 1917, 4,700 of this model made that year.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115
    bill
  3. carl tilley

carl tilley New Member

b.goforth, Think you for all the good info on the 3rd models our clint will be happy to here about the 38. I check the thorat to see if it was cutting lead could not see einty sign of it but has this model have a history of cutting lead ? Think you again for the good help and I think from what I've read in here this will be very helpful forum for me and the shop thanks carl
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if lockup is good and tight then there should not be any lead spliting.

it been awhile since (1983) i have been to berryville ar but i seem to remember a museum there with a good gun collection.
    bill
  5. carl tilley

carl tilley New Member

That would be the sanders museum, I came here in 1980 have yet to go see the old guns, form what I've been told about the museum the gun collection is somthing to see think you again for the help on the old 38 carl