Iver Johnson 3rd model 32

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ramblinbill, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ramblinbill

ramblinbill New Member

Bill, I popped the grips and the serial number is A 87706 making this a 1913 production.
    I compared it to the photos and drawings in your book as well as two other 32 Iver Johnson top breaks I have, and they all have some sort of protrusion in front of the cylinder which holds it in place.
    This cylinder is flat on the front, pops up when the extractor pops up, and can be pulled out with finger pressure.
    It appears I am missing a small piece, but I don't know what.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

by 1913 the cylinder retainer was changed to a lug on the bottom of the barrel forcing cone that mated with a collar on the cylinder bushing (front of cylinder). to remove the cylinder you aligned the lug with a slot in the cylinder bushing. the missing part could be either the lug or the cylinder bushing most likely the lug.
    bill
  3. ramblinbill

ramblinbill New Member

It appears to be missing both. Are there any sources for these parts, and is this a dIY job?

Thanks,

Bill
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

cylinders can be found but i am not sure the small lug on the bottom of the barrel can be repaced as it is so small and inaccessible. if it were me and i wanted to shoot this revolver is would start looking for a barrel and cylinder manufactured after 1913. replacing barrel and cylinder is a diy job but not repairing either one.
    bill